Anti Virus software

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I am so sick of Norton I can't stand it, have a 2002 Window XP home computer. That works fine till Norton decides to do something. Have AVG freebe on the laptop, we use webroot at work (not happy with it either).
Was considering BitDefender due to online reviews. But thought I might ask here at iboats for the real deal. What are you guys using and how has it worked for you.

PS: As a moderator, I follow links posted on this site anytime I come across one. Just to to make sure what it is. Norton has nailed a couple, but their program slows everything too much.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anti Virus software

I use AVG, works good and it is free. Nothing is perfect.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Ditto on AVG (Free). Have use it exclusively at home for a few years.
Also use Zone Alarm (Free)

okboating

Seaman Apprentice

You might try Avast, I have used avg also, but Avast is my current favorite.
Dave

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

malwarebytes anti malware is the best out there IMO..norton,mcafee,avast and avg are resource hogs(bog down computer)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Another here who uses AVG{freebie} if your looking for a paid for security package, I recommend System Mechanic from Iolo{no affiliation here btw}, they're at vers9 nowadays, I started out with vers5 went thru vers7, was VERY satisfied... just this economy on me currently making me choose the freebie.
http://www.iolo.com/landing/?pid=B1...advanced&OVADID=7323502013&OVKWID=81562590013

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

AVG here, Norton and McAfee are to resource intrusive.
Zone Alarm for security.
Ccleaner for file removal, and free resources.
Firefox Browser
Also Chrome Browser
Defraggler for Defraging

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Another free AVG and Zone alarm user here. I've never had a virus with AVG. When I ran Norton, more than one slipped by.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

I had Norton, it used up way to much of my computer and I had nothing but problems. Now I have McAffy and it seems to sit there quietly and do its own thing.

I did see McAffy act like a predator one time when I got some strange alert. The alert popped up and said it was Antivirus 2000 and had a symbol like a Windows shield. The McAffy popped up about 10 seconds after that and blocked it out indicating to me that there was malware found and it took care of it. Since then it just quietly sits at the corner of my computer tool bar.

I would recommend McAffy.

i386

Captain

AVG Free 8.5 gets my vote. I do the "Advanced Install" to turn off the items I don't want. I've tried Avast too. No compaints.

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I been using AVG free for a few years now and eventually you will have to either find another free version of AV or switch to the pay version...

I preferred the 7 series much better as 8 and 8.5 have had issues at times...

another very good free anti-virus is Avira and it leaves and uses a very small footprint...

that is ALL I use in combination with the built in Windows firewall...and in the 10 years in the PC business we have only had 2 viruses on our 8 PCs

I also use malwarebytes once a month or so just to check the system...most of the time other than normal tracking cookies we are clean...

I dont use 3rd party firewall as I have my router for that...no need for apps you dont need when the hardware firewall will block all PCs traffic according to what is allowed...

if you feel you need on PC firewall other than windows you may not be practicing safe browsing habits...

for XP I would suggest either AVG ot Avira...I really like Avast but I started having issues with setting exceptions on my server and it got to the point it was not worth the hassle to use anymore...I currently have AVG on the server....

I currently run Windows 7 on all of my rigs and XP on the server...

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Was using AVG free until problems. Spinner turned me on to Avast. Been using it ever since.

i386

Captain

if you feel you need on PC firewall other than windows you may not be practicing safe browsing habits...

Like you, I don't use firewall software either. However, the important feature of a software firewall installed locally is that it shows outgoing connections. Many of which you may be unaware of.

Bifflefan

Commander

I use Windows One Care.
I've had it 3 years now, never had any problems at all with. In fact you dont even know its there till you need a pay for it again.
it also does a backup every 30 days so you never lose anything again.

For me the free ones are you get what you pay for.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the replies. Think I will just have to give AVG a try on this computer too. Haven't had problems with the laptop and I do the same thing with it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I use Windows One Care.
I've had it 3 years now, never had any problems at all with. In fact you dont even know its there till you need a pay for it again.
it also does a backup every 30 days so you never lose anything again.

For me the free ones are you get what you pay for.

I use OneCare as well and am very happy with it. However I heard Microsoft is discontinuing it. I'm waiting to see that it's successor will be. I heard they are coming out with something free. We'll see.

The best AV I've ever used was ESET's NOD32. One of the best virus detectors in the business and like 0 performance hit to your machine. However they are too greedy with their renewal subscription pricing so I had to look for alternatives. Quite a shame really.

dr_bowtie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would have to agree...

if you want a "pay for" anti virus then either NOD32 or Kaspersky are the answers...Kaspersky is the top with NOD32 second but both are the best out there for being the most thorough and least power hungry...

I tried Kaspersky when the new version came out and it was very nice...

The level of anti-virus you need directly depends on your browsing habits...with that said...:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I use full blown (purchased) AVG on my desktop and free versions on the laptop. I have been using it for the last 5 years and I like it but most of all I trust it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Avast or AVG with the addition of Malwarebytes ......Works pretty well for free programs.
I have used Norton for years and will not ever pay them again.Norton is a system hog for sure.