Unable to remove crank pulley

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to change out the timing belt on my 89 Bayliner Capri with OMC/Ford 2.3L. The manual says pull the bolt and washer (done) and the pulley pulls off, no tool required. I cannot get the pulley to budge. I've tried Kroll oil on the theory it is rusted in place, but after tapping with a hammer, there is still no movement.

Anyone else have this issue, and how did you get the pulley off? It needs to be pulled to remove a nylon washer and then swap belts.

HELP!!! As it sits now, I cannot even (the hated word) winterize the engine.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Unable to remove crank pulley

Did you try a harmonic balancer puller? You can rent one at most auto parts stores.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think this is the same thing as searay3 mentioned, I would try a three jaw puller with a bolt in the middle to pull off the pulley. You can put the center bolt back in except for about 1/4 remaining (make sure plenty of threads are engaged). Then use the center bolt of the pulley to put the middle bolt of the puller on.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've tried a puller, but the only place to grab is a collar that is only about 1/2 tall and is two parts, each about 140 degrees, with a gap between them. I have hit the hub with Kroll oil, which is an excellent penetrating oil. I guess this will be one of those projects where you load with Kroll oil, let sit for a while, tap with a hammer, then try to pull. So much for OMC and Ford saying just remove, no special tool required.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

I've tried a puller, but the only place to grab is a collar that is only about 1/2 tall and is two parts, each about 140 degrees, with a gap between them. I have hit the hub with Kroll oil, which is an excellent penetrating oil. I guess this will be one of those projects where you load with Kroll oil, let sit for a while, tap with a hammer, then try to pull. So much for OMC and Ford saying just remove, no special tool required.

Maybe a heatgun applied to the pulley will loosen it? Worse case scenario you could drill and thread some holes to accept a harmonic balancer puller and replace it if you booger it up.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe a heatgun applied to the pulley will loosen it? Worse case scenario you could drill and thread some holes to accept a harmonic balancer puller and replace it if you booger it up.

Actually that might be the answer. My next door neighbor was wondering if they used the wrong key when they put it on. And I'm wondering if they used a threadlocker, like a previous owner did, on everything else.

45Auto

Commander

Heat is your friend. Warm it up real good with an oxy-acetylene torch if you can get to it without burning up your boat.

210ccr

Seaman Apprentice

you need to use a puller that bolts directly to the balancer where the pulley bolts on, it will take it off.:)

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you need to use a puller that bolts directly to the balancer where the pulley bolts on, it will take it off.

There are no bolts on the pulley. The pully is welded to the shaft collar, which has a single bolt and washer that anchors it to the crank. But I do appreciate the suggestion. Thanks

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heat is your friend. Warm it up real good with an oxy-acetylene torch if you can get to it without burning up your boat.

I think a torch is out since the under floor fuel tank is about 18 inches away, and fuel lines are about a foot out. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'll talk with the tech who works on my vehicles. He is an "old timer" and may have another idea on how to apply heat without igniting the fuel tank or boat.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think a torch is out since the under floor fuel tank is about 18 inches away, and fuel lines are about a foot out. But thanks for the suggestion. :)

I'll talk with the tech who works on my vehicles. He is an "old timer" and may have another idea on how to apply heat without igniting the fuel tank or boat.

It is possible to weld a hole in a gas tank filler tube with an acetylene torch and not die in a huge fireball. Don't ask me how I know this.:redface: You've never seen a pair of young men run a faster 50 yard dash.:D

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would try a heat gun. It doesn't get as hot but there are no open flames... They do get hot enough to melt solder.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got it off. My auto tech used an oversize puller. Really tight fit, with rust and a very tight key.

Once we got that done, I replaced the idler tensioner pulley and the belt. Got it togeterh and fired it up. Timing is off less than 1/2 degree when we started and I think I'll leave it there for now.

Thanks for the suggestions