3012 Leaking?

Brian McKee

Cadet
Hello, Everyone!

While wandering about this wonderful site, I chanced upon serial number info that got me wondering about my own little Evinrude. I went out to the shed and when I turned the motor towards the sun in order to get the last five of my serial number, (35082), my left hand came away from the lower handle, (the one nearest the high/low speed knobs), with black oily gasoline on the tips of my fingers. I immediately checked the vent and fuel flow knobs and they were both closed. I am now quite concerned about my little guy.

I just bought this motor for fifty bucks and am determined to restore it this winter while attempting to enjoy its offerings through the fall season. It has not ran for fifty years I've been told and was inspected by a small engine repair man and given a thumbs up before I bought it.

The only major issue was the fact that it had been painted over (with a brush) in a brown that I will not describe here. Now, this is in doubt until I can discern why I have gasoline on the handle while it is stored upright in my shed. It is transported on its side while loaded in the boat since I must utilize the bed of my pickup until I can purchase a small trailer. But, with that said, there was no gas on my hands when I removed it from the boat and put it in the shed, so this occurred over the past three days while stored upright.

The only thing I'm aware of, (that might be at work here), is the fact that I did remove the copper fuel line in order to remove the filter for inspection and one was not found up inside the tank due to a lack of proper tools and initiative on my part. I did however, reinstall the line and tightened it down as best I could and the engine has ran for hours, on two seperate occasions, since my tinkering took place. I have not checked the connections since.

If any of you have suggestions concerning this issue, I would be indebted to you. The only repairs I have made have been the installation of a new starter cord and a shear pin on the prop shaft.

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter!

Brian

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3012 Leaking?

That's alot of words to ask how can gas can get on the tiller handle :D.

What are you working on? YOu'll need the model # to determine year and other info. Pics are always helpful as well.

If it's a model that has a tank on the motor it must be leaking.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

3012 is the model number for a 3HP, 1952-1954 Evinrude.

Brian McKee

Cadet

Yes, it is a 3012 in 3hp...

Secondly, it is not the tiller handle, but the 'carry' handle on the same side of the motor as the tiller handle.

I appreciate the responses so far and only add these remarks for clarification purposes.

Brian

F_R

Supreme Mariner

3012 is the model number for a 3HP, 1952-1954 Evinrude.

It should be more than obvious that gas leaked out at some time and ran out when you tilted it in a certain position. Whatever it is, it is a minor issue since you say you are going to restore it anyway. It could be nothing..remember fuel going into the carburetor is controlled by a float valve. Floats only "float" when right side up. Sideways doesn't get it.

Brian McKee

Cadet

The thought of the smell of raw gasoline permeating the air as I ram 'round the Mississippi River does not appeal to me, however minor it might be.

Since this is a closed system, the only point where the gas should be exposed to the atmosphere being when I fill it and when it hits the carburetor, I must assume there is a leak somewhere outside these two points; my question was based upon this and I attempted to give as much info as possible in order to see if anyone could determine where I might start to look....you know, the front of the back...fore or aft. So, my post appeared a bit wordy and for this, I apologize.

I guess that I will attempt to take Lion Hunter's advice and start with the gas tank...especially my fresh connection at the base of the filter I could not find. After that it is anyone's guess. Thanks for the assistance.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it was sitting upright it with gas in it, the tank may have pressurized a bit if the vent and fuel valve were closed. Warm sunny days can built up a bit of pressure in there as the gasoline expands...