Parts for a 1959 Lark

Lars7

Cadet
I am searching for a place to find parts for this engine.....1959 Lark 35Hp model 35517
I am in need of the transmission lever on the outside of the motor.

I do have one on there but its not the right one as it scrapes badly on the cowl.....and then after viewing some pictures on the internet of other 1959 Larks I can see that it is the wrong one on there.

Any ideas on where I might find this part........other than that lever engine runs great needs nothing......for now.....lol.

Thanks

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Parts for a 1959 Lark

I have the same motor, and mine scrapes, too. I see parts on ebay motors for the '59 Lark all the time. There was a guy parting one out about a month ago. You might start there.

Is this a 'new' motor for you?

Lars7

Cadet

I have the same motor, and mine scrapes, too. I see parts on ebay motors for the '59 Lark all the time. There was a guy parting one out about a month ago. You might start there.

Is this a 'new' motor for you?

Ya I have been looking on e-bay and calling all dealers around me here in Mass with no luck so far.

Ya the motor came on a boat I traded for....1961 16ft Hydrodyne.....the engine runs strong and idles great.....we have yet to launch it in the lake yet....looking to do that in the next week or two.

Lars7

Cadet

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No worries ...

I would keep a close eye on the pee stream if you're not going to change the impeller before you take it out. If the guy you got it from doesn't know when the impeller was replaced, I would do that right away. Not too difficult, and well worth the effort.

Just an FYI, these old motors are notorious for needing the coils replaced, so if she's running rough at WOT and you can't get it adjusted, I would start there (if you know the carbs are clean and adjusted properly).

Lars7

Cadet

No worries ...

I would keep a close eye on the pee stream if you're not going to change the impeller before you take it out. If the guy you got it from doesn't know when the impeller was replaced, I would do that right away. Not too difficult, and well worth the effort.

Just an FYI, these old motors are notorious for needing the coils replaced, so if she's running rough at WOT and you can't get it adjusted, I would start there (if you know the carbs are clean and adjusted properly).

Well we ran the motor in a bucket....in gear and in netural and she ran fine.....when running it water was spraying out of the hole......and the guy who helped me fire it up said the pee stream was great......I did see it but I have no idea how strong the stream should be.

We want to run the boat a couple of times this year before putting it away for its winter nap.....and have plans to replace everything in the spring like the coils and points and condensers and the water pump impeller.

So what should the pee stream look like.....mine was more like a good heavy spray rather than a stream.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A good heavy spray in a barrel is what you should expect. Once you have it on the lake and warmed up, it should come out a lot stronger, especially at WOT. It should be fine.
Most of the experts on this forum do suggest replacing the impeller every two years, just to be safe.

Post some pics when you get a chance. Everybody here loves to see pictures. The accepted size here is 640 x 480.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am searching for a place to find parts for this engine.....1959 Lark 35Hp model 35517
I am in need of the transmission lever on the outside of the motor.

I do have one on there but its not the right one as it scrapes badly on the cowl.....and then after viewing some pictures on the internet of other 1959 Larks I can see that it is the wrong one on there.

Any ideas on where I might find this part........other than that lever engine runs great needs nothing......for now.....lol.

Thanks

The part number is 278156 and any Evinrude dealer can get one for you---if he tries. Otherwise, www.sea-way.com If they don't have it they can do a computer search to find out who does have it. Expect the part to cost about $25.

Lars7

Cadet

The part number is 278156 and any Evinrude dealer can get one for you---if he tries. Otherwise, www.sea-way.com If they don't have it they can do a computer search to find out who does have it. Expect the part to cost about $25.

Ok I have found an evinrude dealer that can get the part so he says.....he sent me a pic of the microfiche slide and the lever looks just like the one I have on there now......which is scraping the cowl real hard.

When I take this lever off there is nothing between the lever and the piece that it mounts to....but in the pic the dealer sent me there seems to be either a spacer or gasket that is not present on mine.

I have ground down my lever a bit so it works better but its still hitting the cowl and I cannot take off anymore as to weaken the lever to much.

The part number you gave me is not the same one the dealer came up with.....so I am still a bit lost.......is there a spacer in there?

The dude that I got to boat from just said to build it out with some washers and left it at that......but I can see that is not a viable option.

Lars7

Cadet

All I can tell you is that I got the number right out of the parts book. Look for yourself. EDIT: #59 is a thin paper gasket, not a spacer.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/2LarkMotorCover.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/3LarkMotorCoverPartsList.jpg

YOU are right and the dealer was WRONG!
I gave this guy all my info.....1959 Evinrude Lark 35Hp model number 35517.....he then sends me a microfiche pic of the cowl asking me if this is what I have......the picture was of a Johnson sea horse 35 hp.

Whats wrong with these people......Just as I was sending him a pic of my cowl you posted your exploded diagram and thats exactly what I was looking for.

So as it turns out the part number you gave me IS the part I need and what I have on there is a lever from an unknown year Johnson sea horse thats why its a not fit!

My question is are all these dealers that dumb?

I mean I told him what I have with model and serial numbers and he was looking up parts for a 1959 Johnson sea horse.......This is why I will come here 1st and formost with questions and info as you guys on here know your stuff hands down.

So the lever will cost 18.00 and change and shipping will be like 6.00 so you were also right on with the price of 25.00.

Thank you very much for your help as I now have confidence in the right part showing up
and my cowl thanks you as it was taking some un needed abuse from some other dude who put the wrong lever on the motor.

Thank You!!!!