steering problem

gmtech2000

Recruit
the y shaped steering control peice under the motor is rusted very thin i want to change the peice. how do i take the motor off of the bracket to change the y peice.
thanks for the help andrew

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering problem

the y shaped steering control peice under the motor is rusted very thin i want to change the peice. how do i take the motor off of the bracket to change the y peice.
thanks for the help andrew

The name of the part is steering arm and pivot shaft assembly. What you have to do is remove everything that doesn't look like a steering arm and pivot shaft assembly.

OK, seriously, a generic answer to a generic question is that you have to remove the powerhead and lower unit. Then remove the mid-section from the upper and lower rubber mounts. Then you can get at the big nut on the lower end of the pivot shaft. Now you finally are able to pull the pivot shaft up and out.

gmtech2000

Recruit

wow i didn't realize it was that much work to take the motor off. i'll have to get a repair manuall. will a manuall have those procedures in there, and how much do those manuals usually sell for.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

wow i didn't realize it was that much work to take the motor off. i'll have to get a repair manuall. will a manuall have those procedures in there, and how much do those manuals usually sell for.

Post a photo of you issue for us all to review. I am very interested to see it for one.

gmtech2000

Recruit

i will try to get some pics on here if i can get it to post not 100% sure how to do it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

A factory repair manual will explain it all. Generic ones might not. You didn't say what motor you are working on, did you? www.outboardbooks.com has reprints of the factory manuals, kind of high priced. They also show up pretty often on e-bay, again depending on the model you need.

gmtech2000

Recruit

it is either a 77 or 79 evinrude 115. is there any sites online that has a printable manuall. and also the manualls go by serial numbers where do i find this number on my motor.
thanks andrew

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The manuals go by the model numbers which are on a 1" X 3" plate on the port transom bracket. If that is missing, look on the top of the engine block for a nickel-sized, convex welch plug which may also have the numbers.