1986 Bayliner Volvo Engine Question

ixchenoxi

Cadet
Hey,

Im probably going to be purchasing a 1986 Bayliner Capri 19ft w/ a Volvo Penta 2.3L 4Cyl and a 275 outdrive.

Hes replaced the timing belt, distributor, spark plugs and wires recently. Guy says he hasn't had any problems with the outdrive as long as hes owned it. (4 years) After switching batteries the motor fired up fine, and i reved it a few times. I let it idle for 4 minutes and didn't see a problem.

The boats also needs upholstry work, but the hull looks sound (no spiderwebing). Lights work, comes with a color fish finder, cb and cd player. Hes asking 1500 for it. Trailer is in good shape as well.

Im sorta new to boating, and i need some honesty. And i just got out of a boat that i had trouble with the motor

How good are these motors/ outdrives?
Things i should look for before/ do before i purchase the boat?

Any input for a new boater will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-mike

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1986 Bayliner Volvo Engine Question

Same as you I am new to the boating world.

I just purchase a 1991 Bayliner Capri project boat and here's what I was looking at;

? Hulls got to be solid, go over it with a fine tooth comb and look for cracks...etc
? Does it have a title (I'm in Mass and it is required for registration)
? Did you look at the temp. gauge when it was running, should be 150 degrees or below
? Ideally you want to check compression in each cylinder as well (if they will let you do that should be around 125PSI or so in all cylinders, not sure about this on the volvo's though)
? Salt or Fresh water....makes a big difference on what the inside might have in it if it wasn't taken care of properly
? Pop the ski locker out and take a look at the stringers and do the same inside the engine compartment to make sure they are solid and not rotting.
? Look for soft spots in the floor, if there are any the odds are you will need to rip the floor out because there's probably underlying damage hidden

I am pretty mechanical and my engine requires tons fo work which I was up for, if you are not then hopefully someone else can give you insight on exactly what you need to look for engine-wise. Also, I have a mercruiser not the Volvo engine in mine.

At the end of the day $1500 for a boat and a trailer with a decent outdrive is pretty short money

Good luck and have fun!

-BAproject

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Volvo parts for these engines/drives are very expensive and there are are very little after market parts. For example, starter are close to $500.00

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Hello. I have an 84 Bayliner Explorer. I have been able to find MANY aftermarket (used) parts for my Volvo Penta 125 engine, as well as the 270 drive. They are EXCELLANT engines...much better then anything out there today....USe the internet, Ebay......

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The engines are excellent and are the same engines that were used in Volvo cars. Manifolds can be pricey. The Volvo drive is bullet proof. Basically any marine specific part on the engine will be expensive like starters and alternators.

As far as the boat itself goes, check for rot as good as you can...floor stringers and transom. If water leaks in to the bilge through the drive area, it could mean a rotten transom.

ixchenoxi

Cadet

I appreciate your guys' input and it sounds like a good deal.

Curious though, How does one check if it has a bad transom? I mean, the back of the boat looks good visually from the outside, but what should i be looking for concerning the transom area?

I know if this boat was an outboard, it would be alot easier to see transom damage or wear, if any. But its an inboard, and im confused.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You could jump on the drive and check for flex or use a heavy rubber mallet and pound away listening for dead spots. Best way is to drill holes but I am sure you won't be able to do that :)