saltwater to freshwater regs?

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in bradenton, fl. We have a freshwater river flowing into tampa bay area. My question is with my saltwater only license, can i fish to a certain point, only in the bay, both, or everything but lakes and ponds? I am from illinois and recently moved here so not sure, and if you can believe it nobody i have asked(including the walmart person that sold me the license) knows the answer.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: saltwater to freshwater regs?

Most places have a demarkation line. This is to say you need to stay by the shore to read the small as* sign or you might get pinched for fishing in freshwater(non-tidal) with a saltwater(tidal) license.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Here in Connecticut the DEP uses I-95 that skirts the coast as the demarcation line in most rivers.

Ken G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cut and pasted this from the freshwater regulations on the myfwc.com site. You may have to taste the water, LOL.

"Licensing requirements follow the species of fish you are fishing for, regardless of where you are fishing. For example, anglers fishing for and possessing largemouth bass in brackish water need a freshwater license; anglers fishing for saltwater species in fresh water (e.g., spotted sea trout, red drum, snook, or American shad) need a saltwater license to possess these species. An exception is that when fishing in fresh water with a freshwater license (or legal exemption) you may take mullet without a saltwater license (seasons and sizes follow the saltwater fishing rules)."

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

being in Bradenton, i would have a fresh and salt water license.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I recommend getting both freshwater and a saltwater license. It's cheaper than a fine and a day in court. Otherwise, now where and what you are fishing for. Worms catch bream, but we've caught Sheepshead too.

Also, know your USCG safety equipment requirements for your vessel. It may vary slightly from fresh and saltwater. We equip the vessel with both to, again, avoid a fine and a day in court, besides being an extra safety precaution.