Was This Bad Launch Etiquette?

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Being a newbie boater I thought I'd post this after labor day adventure just for fun.
GF and I wisely stayed off the water on labor day but on tuesday afternoon I left work early (self employed);) and headed out to a local "big lake" for the first time. Kincaid Lake in S. IL. (2300 acres). As we dutifully prepped the little 16' tinny, 9.8, (thanks catransplant for all your posts) in the parking lot, a big red "go fast" comes speeding by right down to the launch ramp. We got ready and headed down and there he was backed down into the water prepping his boat. Now mind you this launch can probably accomadate six boats and since it was 3pm on a tues, their were all of 6-8 rigs in the lot of a huge place and he and us were the only ones on the ramp but I couldn't help but think of all the posts I have read here and wonder if he does this all the time? I can guarantee you this place was a zoo the day before, you should have seen the dumpster:eek:
Thankfully it's pretty quiet down here in S.IL., we have a lot of 10hp limit lakes so I don't get to experience all of the antics I see posted.

BTW, for all of you who have read First Boat part 1,2&3 were doing pretty well now. Launch and retrieval goes quickly and smoothly, GF doesn't drive the boat but pulls the truck and trailer out after the launch, while I dock the boat. She can't back up the trailer so the retrieval is a little slower but were pretty proud of ourselves. Were starting to get this thing DOWN:)
THANKS:) to all of you who we have learned so much from, I am no longer thinking of selling the boat:D

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Was This Bad Launch Etiquette?

Being a newbie boater I thought I'd post this after labor day adventure just for fun.
GF and I wisely stayed off the water on labor day but on tuesday afternoon I left work early (self employed);) and headed out to a local "big lake" for the first time. Kincaid Lake in S. IL. (2300 acres). As we dutifully prepped the little 16' tinny, 9.8, (thanks catransplant for all your posts) in the parking lot, a big red "go fast" comes speeding by right down to the launch ramp. We got ready and headed down and there he was backed down into the water prepping his boat. Now mind you this launch can probably accomadate six boats and since it was 3pm on a tues, their were all of 6-8 rigs in the lot of a huge place and he and us were the only ones on the ramp but I couldn't help but think of all the posts I have read here and wonder if he does this all the time? I can guarantee you this place was a zoo the day before, you should have seen the dumpster:eek:
Thankfully it's pretty quiet down here in S.IL., we have a lot of 10hp limit lakes so I don't get to experience all of the antics I see posted.

BTW, for all of you who have read First Boat part 1,2&3 were doing pretty well now. Launch and retrieval goes quickly and smoothly, GF doesn't drive the boat but pulls the truck and trailer out after the launch, while I dock the boat. She can't back up the trailer so the retrieval is a little slower but were pretty proud of ourselves. Were starting to get this thing DOWN:)
THANKS:) to all of you who we have learned so much from, I am no longer thinking of selling the boat:D

If the ramp was wide enough so he didn't impede your launch, it's no big deal.

If the ramp's busy, I'll do the pre-prep and then the quick dump. If it's not, and especially if I'm alone, I may skip a step or two and do the couple of minutes of prep on the ramp. As long as I'm not impeding someone else, what's the difference.

If, for some reason I hit a snag in the setup AND someone else is ready to launch, I'll just hop in the tow car and pull around.

It's great to see a newbie want to get things right.

John

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations Deck Swabber! Doesn't it feel good to know more and be the better boater than the moron who owns the go-fast? Quietly we rejoice in our superior abilities.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Nice job, I have seen some winners on the launch.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If the other guy was not blocking anyone else's access then it is not a big deal in my opinion. If people are waiting to launch while he preps on the ramp then that is a no no.