Getting a trailer weighed in Florida

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need to get my trailer weighed so i can register it as homemade... Has anyone in florida ever done this? Does it have to be done at a DOT station or can i do it at a recycling or scrap place?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Getting a trailer weighed in Florida

I'm not a Floridian but it seems to me you could do it anywhere there is a CERTIFIED scale, and the scrap yards should have that.....just get some type of proof.

nlain

Commander

Check the local Farmers Market.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used the scale at the local landfill operated by the county.
Certified is the key word.

I think they may also require a law enforcement officer to look at it and certify its homemade.

Call the DMV and ask them if you could get a paper tag issued for that purpose, and ask what else it required to properly register it.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the trailer is not homemade but the serial # was on a sticker which 25yrs later is no more... and the guy i bought it from did not have a tag on it when i bought it and i have no way of getting ahold of him.

Provo5

Seaman

All you need is a bill of sale with vin on it. DMV will issue you a new tag, Florida dose not title boat trailers.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

and CAT scales at a truck stop of like someone posted certified.

cadet917

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All you need is a bill of sale with vin on it. DMV will issue you a new tag, Florida dose not title boat trailers.

I have no way of contacting the guy i bought it from... he gave me a bill of sale but there is no vin on it, only a description.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most truckstops can provide you with a "Certified Weight".

wingtime

Cadet

I have to go through the same process to get my trailer tag. I went to the DMV to get the skinny. You need to take the EMPTY trailer to a certified scale to have it weighed. Thats it. The tag price is based on the empty weight of the trailer. no inspection or anything. Oh and if its less then 500 lbs you don't need the weight.