Number of Orifices/Jets on J70ELCTE Carb?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Good day to everyone,
I was wondering how many jets there are for a 1983 year, 70 horsepower Johnson outboard? I thought there was 2 of them, the low/idle jet/orifice and the high speed jet/orifice. Is there a intermediate/mid range jet /orifice. If so I have not cleaned that one, the intermediate, becuase I could never get the plug screw #17 out to get to #22 orifice according to the BRP parts catalogue breakdown for model# J70ELCTE but I never put it securely the carb body itself in a vise so I could try to remove that plug screw #22 to get at the jet if mine is suppose to have one. If so will that cause my bogging/stalling issue that I am experiencing after it has warmed up to normal operating temperature? Let me know, Bob:)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Number of Orifices/Jets on J70ELCTE Carb?

PM Sent.

#22, 27, 29

7370-75hpCarb-a.jpg

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Number of Orifices/Jets on J70ELCTE Carb?

Thank you Mr. Joe Reeves. So I do have 3 jets versus 2 that I thought I had. Well, this is the plan for me. First, I am going to rebuild my carbs and make sure that I get that third jet #22 that I have never removed and cleaned out and blown threw really good, flush my fuel tank out and then do a lync and sync by the book. I should be good to go I hope after doing that. I have already replaced all of my fuel lines, new fuel bulb with fuel line and new fuel t-connectors. This will get done next year after I have completed my deployment. Take care and thanks, Bob Autry:)