more motor problems. getting fed up.

jcdsog

Seaman Apprentice
ok, so i got the 84 8hp evinrude. been running perfect. now, after 3 weeks of sitting, went to the landing today and never even made it in the water.

both plugs getting gas. seems like no spark. acted like it wanted to do something about 1 or 2 times out of 60 pulls. pulled the carb. jet looked good. float working good. even just bought new plugs... still a no go.

its a pull start. i took the plug wire off. tried to test with a screw driver. didnt seem to get spark. am i pulling it fast enough? how do i test the coils? have a multimeter.

want to ride tomm. bad. thanks.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: more motor problems. getting fed up.

Invest $10 or less in a spark tester and check the spark out with that.

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take the plug out, connect the wire and place the other side on the engine....viola, spark plug tester.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Take the plug out, connect the wire and place the other side on the engine....viola, spark plug tester.

Will let you know if you have a spark but not how much of a gap it will jump.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

If you are turning the motor you are pulling hard enough for spark even if not fast enough the start.

Do you have a kill switch? if so, try disconnecting it and give it a pull.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With the spark plugs removed, the spark must jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Testing via a spark plug is a complete waste of time.

If you have compression, and spark as described above, you're overlooking something within the carburetor.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

With the spark plugs removed, the spark must jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP! Testing via a spark plug is a complete waste of time.

So true.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

disconnect your kill button,they often go bad,they kill spary and often intermittently choke to kill it if necessary

jcdsog

Seaman Apprentice

update. took it in and it was the kill switch arcing. they disconnected it so i choke it now to kill the motor.

is it hard to take the handle off to get to the kill switch? it probably needs a good cleaning. if not he said that i had to order the whole handle.