1985 85hp force outboard Coils Pack

porker99

Cadet
Well let's start off I have 1985 85hp force outboard. What happends it's starts and has rough idle and has no power it feels like it's runing on 2 clinders. So I took it my mechancle that did the work about 2 years ago and the work he did was send off the complete wire harns to the force factory and the fixed the wire harns, not real sure what they did but got it back 4 months later and change all the coil packs and spark pulgs, and wires.

So after getting back 4 and half months latter, it ran like a champ but half way thought this year it's doing the same thing. rough ideal and loss power

porker99

Cadet
Re: 1985 85hp force outboard Coils Pack

Thank you for your reply
They sent the wire harns to mercury and trade it out with a new one.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury is the force factory now [is that good or bad????????] They handle a good bit of the force parts that are available "factory new" now.First thing I would look at is the harness IF it's doing the exact same thing. Use an ohm meter to check continuity of all the wiring from one end of the wire to the other, this is after you look for the simple things first[lose connection at the bulkhead connector on the motor , battery connections and assorted attached wires ], and if you don't find any thing in the harness ,then check your fuel system[filter,pump diaphragm, tank]. It's hard to think that it would have the exact same issue as before,but [there's that word again]stranger things have happened to me before. Keep us posted what you find ,if it's wiring or fuel related. MOPARMAN ROLL TIDE

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The very FIRST thing is do a compression test.Then check for spark.Then post the results.
It's doubtfull the same problem is there.
It's possible you have some water in your system.Do you have a water/fuel seperator? How old are the gas lines?It's possible the Ethanol has messed up the hoses.
The dealer didn't send your stuff to Mercury.He bought new parts and replaced yours with them.He kept the old stuff to sell to someone who needs it.J

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are having THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM and you have a history with the harness being the problem then why wouldn't you start at the past item that gave you a problem[that's IF it's the EXACT SAME PROBLEM]?I agree it's tough to believe it could be the harness , but if it's the same issue why start some where else knowing that you have a precedent in the prior harness being replaced??Could two harnesses go bad ?absolutely,but I agree, it's hard to imagine. Did they send coil packs and cd boxs with the harness? did any of your problems start after a fuel fill up by chance ?I really couldn't tell you if the dealer sold your old harness to some one else or not, because that's assuming a lot[you know about what assuming means]but they must have installed a new one to clear up the problem before,so I would start looking at the easy things first,just my two cents worth. MOPARMAN ROLL TIDE