how to check floor repair job?

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at this old '77 crestliner

3k23pc3l65Qe5Pb5R299305a5aeb7ada11ffc.jpg

3of3pa3l35Q15S65Ra993425ff032edf01f92.jpg

The guy says he replaced the floors, seats, basically all of the interior and all it needs is a paintjob.

I asked if he had just put old wood over the rotten floor or if he'd actually tore it all out and replaced it, and if the stringers were sound still.

He said they were, and he removed the old floor and installed a new marine plywood one, and glassed over it. Are the stringers ever solid on a boat this old? Are all the old crestliners aluminum hulls? How do I check if the old floors were actually removed?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: how to check floor repair job?

I'd be more concerned for the transom, get under the splashwell, remove any hatch to get access to the bilge inspect stringers there and the back of the transom ( with a small concealed screwdriver blade.)
If it wasn't done ( stringer job) you'll be the one doing it at this age unless its been sitting in a barn for 20 yrs.
If you can peel the glass off the backside of the transom its shot.

To me, a soft deck on an older boat automatically says stringers and transom so I assume he did a cover up job....til proven otherwise.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to check floor repair job?

It would be best if he took pix to document what was done...that's what I did with mine...but if you look around the edges of the deck where it meets the sides of the hull...is there any mis match or areas that look lower....if there is a bow storage area...is the decking in there lower than the new section or is it all the same height?