Securing Outboard for Towing Question

edmaude

Cadet
Folks,

I am looking for suggestions on securing my 1989 100hp V4 for towing long distance. I have the engine resting down on piece of 2x6 rather than the factory bracket, which someone recommended. Is it best to strap the motor in the center position or simply let it rest leaning towards the left?

I can not leave the motor down due to my trailer set up

ED

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Securing Outboard for Towing Question

Folks,

I am looking for suggestions on securing my 1989 100hp V4 for towing long distance. I have the engine resting down on piece of 2x6 rather than the factory bracket, which someone recommended. Is it best to strap the motor in the center position or simply let it rest leaning towards the left?

I can not leave the motor down due to my trailer set up

ED

If the 2x4 is acting like a transom saver then you need to put a rubber bungie around it so it will stay the notch and stay straight. When it is turned it will cause air drag and you will lose fuel mileage on the tow vehicle. Also for long hauls i use a trailerable cover on the boat. gets me about 1.5 MPG better.
I bought a "Transom Saver" at wally world for 26.00, and made a bracket on the trailer for it to sit on. It came with the straps needed. Rides a whole lot better now.
You want as much clearance as you can to towing, for many reasons.

Chuck H.

Cadet
Re: Securing Outboard for Towing Question

Ideally, your motor should be completely stabilized while traveling to keep road vibrations from transferring to your motor. Constant movement of the motor will eventually cause you problems. Most people now a days are using some type of transom saver. There's different thoughts as to what type is best. If you're interested , take a look at the Lock-n-Haul transom saver. It will completely eliminate all movement of the motor in addition to road shock from the trailer. It will fit most motors.