Determining if a boat is restorable and if I should try

BamaFred

Recruit
First time poster here; I've been lurking around since I decided to get a boat a couple of months ago. Now that the season is nearing its end and I still haven't found the right boat, I'm starting to think about just buying a clunker with potential and spending the fall and winter restoring it.

There's a catch, though: I know next to nothing about boats.

I don't think I'm stupid, though I know being an Alabama native I already have a couple of strikes against me :). Would it be ill-advised for someone who doesn't know much (but is a relatively fast learner, especially with books and/or guidance) to jump in and try restoring a boat instead of buying one that's already good?

I'm kind of interested in a 17' Bayliner Capri that looks to need an interior and some engine work. My fear is that I don't know what to look for in a project boat, and will end up getting something that's almost un-fixable, or that will cost more to fix than a new boat would have.

The boat is about 100 miles from me, so all I've seen is pictures, a few of which I have attached. According to the owner, they used the boat last year, but not this year. The engine runs, but has no power in the water. They're asking $600, which doesn't seem like a lot for a (potentially) nice boat.

Could someone who's new to all this jump right in and restore a boat, or would it be best to just buy something that's already in pretty good shape? Can anyone offer advice based on the pictures below, or on what I should look for if I go see the boat in person?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Determining if a boat is restorable and if I should try

You can do it. It's a lot of work though and the materials aren't inexpensive. There's plenty of really top-notch fiberglass boat restorations going on here currently for you to learn from. Lowkee's Bayliner Capri resto sticks out as a great tutorial.

As for that boat, pluses are it's a really nice looking hull and looks to have a great galvanized trailer. Minuses being the interior is really trashed and I'm concerned that not all the parts are there in order for you to use them to for templates. Also that boat has a Force on it which has been out of business for years and may be tough to get parts for.

Your call :)

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Chances are that any and every bit of wood used in it's construction has turned to mush. Including sections under the floors that provide the framework for the actual hull.

So if you are so inclined to completely disassemble the boat (split the top half away from the lower hull half) and cut your way through all the fiberglass to find the wood (or remenents of) then fiberglass it all back together with required sanding and painting, you would have completed step one. Then you can move on to the interior vinyl seat covers and the like.

That, and the fact that most all of those Chrysler motors made are no longer in use. (either because they broke down long ago, or no one knows who will work on them, or even where to get parts).

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Could someone who's new to all this jump right in and restore a boat, or would it be best to just buy something that's already in pretty good shape? Can anyone offer advice based on the pictures below, or on what I should look for if I go see the boat in person?

I'll offer my 2c here....

1 - First, you found the #1 source (iboats) out there for helpful people in boat restoration. Good start.

2- Go to look at a couple boats in your price range before you buy one (and there's plenty). This one being 100 miles away you may want to skip because it's so far. Looking at a few boats before you buy one will make you a more informed buyer, and you'll feel more comfortable about the one that you finally do invest in.

3 - Learn what to look for. Take a screwdriver and tap around with the handle listening for a dull thud, indicating rotted wood. Tap all over the floor and transom. Test electrics, etc.

4 - Learn some stuff about motors. If it supposedly runs, ask to run it in a bucket of water, and put it in gear too to check out the lower end. A compression test would be a good idea, but at least hear it run. If it doesn't run, it could be as simple as a bad starter solenoid (as in my case), or a blown powerhead (requiring a rebuild). Assume the worst if you can't test it.

5 - Pick your battles.... you want to get a boat soon enough that you'll still have the motivation to work on it, but you also want to wait to find one worth working on. Me, I pulled the motor off an old fiberglass boat, sold it, and found an aluminum hull which is much easier to work on. I didn't have to touch a piece of fiberglass cloth in my resto, and no grinding either.

6 - Regarding this boat, I concur with the above. It's not exactly a collector's item, and potentially needs a lot of work. Fiberglass work can be tough. The motor's a Force, which I'd personally stay away from. There are plenty other motors out there in that price range. On the other hand, it could've been kept in a barn it's whole life and driven only on Sundays to church and back. If it were me, I'd keep looking. There was a free boat listed yesterday here in Atlanta (craigslist), potentially in the same condition.

If I were you, decide what kind of boat you what it'll be used for, get a rough budget (and double it when done), and look at other's restorations to get an idea of the work involved. Don't forget to add in tool prices if you don't have grinders, saws, etc. I did a little planning (and patient waiting) before I dove in, and have no regrets. Good luck.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Honestly if you want to go boating....find a boat that has life left in it...there are used boats and USED UP boats...if you want a project...find one that will have good resale if you are going to do that much work...I'd look for an older Boston Whaler or Grady White...that needs a cosmetic (not structural) resto...do it over the winter and then go boating...
If you have to do a complete resto...ask yourself this....do you feel comfortable having to wear a Tyvec suit...respirator...goggles....get covered in 'glass dust...work with resin (toxic) all to restore something that will never be worth much....
I did a deck replacement on my 88 Four Winns...once was enough for me...my next boat will be a lightly used late model....I don't really have the desire to do any more major 'glass work...it's just too hazadardous to your health...

jonesg

Admiral

I wouldn't TOUCH it. Boats like that are free here.

You'd be paying $600 for a decent Contour trailer,
the rest is hazardous waste unless restored, transom looks shot too.
your bill to put it on the water would be anywhere from $1000 to $2500+, especially when you have to buy a decent engine.
Keep looking.

BamaFred

Recruit

Thanks, guys, I reckon maybe I'll let this one pass me by. :)

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I love the old linners I dont know about that force but There are a lot running here.I have the dreaded omc in a 19ft capri cuddy.I love mine had to do floors transom replace busted engine with a truck block.Ididnt hire anything done read and learned as i went.But I have been doing automotive and forklift repair all my life.Ihave 2500 in mine and could have sold her for 4000 twice.Even at that I loose I have almost a year in putting it back together.But Ive run the snot out of it this summer kids love it wife loves it and we get some great family time.I gave 500 for mine.So it can be fixed you can sell them and at least break even if you watch it.But do you want to?

BamaFred

Recruit

All day long if you want a project boat for free.
Some you need a trailer or they will sell you a trailer and some you get the trailer free too.
Holy cow - you guys just about have as many boats for free up there as there are for sale down here. :)

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Man I need to move.The ones without the outdrives I would run from they cost 500 to 1500 here.For a mostly complete boat Id still go 500 to 600.

jonesg

Admiral

Come and get em.:)

might be $300-400 in gas money but some of these boats are worth good money, a pennyan will fetch the price if fixed up.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I want that aerospear swap in a 350 and roll on.