mercury92/ 115 NO REVERSE AFTER lower unit work

mikekre

Cadet
Hello,
Replaced my lower unit seal and after i reinstalled the lower unit i have no reverse ..Forward and nuetral is working fine but when i put it in reverse in goes in forward..can somebody guide me on how to fix it.. i have unbolted and turn the shift rod to the nuetral position servel times and reinstalled ..im sure it has something to do with how i am doing it,

when i had the gears/prop shaft out everthing looks fine ,,springs.gears ..no wear or breakage..only issue i ahd before i started that the lower unit seal (prop shaft seal) was leaking ..

Any advice would greatly be appreciated ..IE PDF instructions

Thanks,
Fisherman without reverse

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercury92/ 115 NO REVERSE AFTER lower unit work

Hi,

You are probably getting F & N on the backside of the shift cam.
Try finding the detent neutral. Then you should have f one way and Reverse the other way. This happens in less that a half turn.

mikekre

Cadet

Thanks,
sounds like if that is happening i should turn the shift shaft 180 back to the nuetral position

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,
Yes, then you should feel the detent from the shift pin riding in the shift cam notch for neutral.
I am guessing that your LU spanner nut or end cap depending on what LU style you have is tight.

mikekre

Cadet

Thanks i will give it a try

17.5cobra

Cadet

hey i had my lower unit off this year to and my shifter rod had to be replaced i had a merc. mech. do it and he put the shifter rod upside down aperently their directional up or down anyway had the same problem fliped the rod problem gone.