How much would you pay?

LiLGrady17

Seaman
'89 SPL88. Runs, wp pumps water. Owner says it needs a good tune up, so I'm figureing the whole shebang, wp, carbs, LU oil, plugs to start. He didn't know compression numbers. Said he got it 5 yrs ago with supposed low hours, and he has'nt used it much.. so who knows the real story.. I'm figure I'm going to have him run it, shift in gear F&R, then check compression numbers & LU fluid. Anything else off hand to check??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How much would you pay?

if all checks out it is a great power house. change all fuel lines (ethanol). here 800 - 1500, depending on condition.

LiLGrady17

Seaman

I bought it. $100 and I pull it from the boat. Guy wasn't really mechanical, so I wound up explaining a lot of the stuff on the engine to him..
New plugs, Comp is 115-119 in all 4, LU oil is clear, shifted & engaged in gear with no extra noise of clunking/grinding. It started right up, although he ran it before I arrived, it was still a little warm to the touch. WP pumps a stream, but not very force full. I had him run it 10-15 minutes & heads still comfortable to touch, no alarm.. OH Sensors were good, not melted as mine became.. It has manual Tilt which is no biggie, my old one was the same, & it makes the install easier.. While idleing, the advance started to increase while sitting there, he pushed it back manually & idle came down. Playing with the linkage at home, I think he must have changed cables & created a problem in the adjustments, and it vibrated up some ..If the throttle is on the stop, the advance roller is pinned in the slotted pathway, which wont allow the advance to move.. This is set by the cable adjustment & Link & sync method, right?

LiLGrady17

Seaman
Re: 1989 SPL 88

Re: 1989 SPL 88

I cleaned up the engine, discovered some things, good for me, bad for prior owner..:D:D

It cleaned up really nice. I found some nylon looking, broken up, tubular pieces in the bottom of the cowling. I believe with these pieces broken, old owner could'nt get the engine to behave right.. In the pic, the follower, which rides on the black cam, off the throttle should have a roller on the black shaft. There is a wear mark on the plate the pin comes off of, and I think the pieces I found, were the roller on the pin. What is this piece called, and does anyone have a part #. The second piece is the timing advance screw head that rides in the curved cut out. I think there is supposed to be a nylon sleeve/roller here as well, it has room to bounce back & forth in the groove, but haven't found any other old pieces of roller.. Any name/part number for this as well? I searched the OMC catalog site, and don't see any of the linkages shown for reference..

i resized picture to fit forum. TD

Attachments

• Linkagesspl88.jpg
    Linkagesspl88.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

great deal,change the impeller,yes ,the pieces are the roller,i have used a piece of hose for temp use,i think it was3/16 inside diameter,not positive,but i think the other roller inside the slot is ok,as long as it has some nylon riding surface,the 4 cyl.engines have thermo problems sometimes due to the location at bottom of block,u may b fine,just fyi if you get hot or just 1 side in future

LiLGrady17

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. No nylon on either roller left.. I'm going to get the parts this week, the rollers are cheap, & in stock at my guy, so I'm just gonna go new & be done with them..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good eye, you are 100% correct. i had the same problem with several motors.