need help evinrude 50 hp fuel pump or carb problem????

hevinrude70

Recruit
I have a 1973 evinrude 50 hp electric shift outboard that i am having problems with. It was running fine and then all of a sudden it stopped running while i was running it here at the house on the water hose. It appeared to me that it wasn't getting gas because i sprayed some gas mixture to the carb and it fired up until it ran out what i sparayed in it. So i thought it might be the fuel pump. I took the fuel pump off of my 1983 70 hp and put it on the motor and it fired right up first crank. I ran it on the ears for a while without any problems. I have been trying to sell the motor and have had no problems running it for people unitl today and it did the same thing it did when i replaced the fuel pump and now it won't start. Any help or info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!! thanks in advance

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: need help evinrude 50 hp fuel pump or carb problem????

Go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do "Outboard won't start".

hevinrude70

Recruit
Re: need help evinrude 50 hp fuel pump or carb problem????

sorry i it is a 1972 evinrude. I looked in the faq section and really didn't find much help it basically said that if i could spray fuel in the carb and it would start that i wasn't getting proper fuel to carb which i already knew. thanks again for any help.