Johnson Alarms

Mako-My-Day

Recruit
I have a 1997 Oceanrunner 225. I just bought the boat and motor and am ironing out the kinks. I was getting an alarm at high rpms, so i changed filters put in clean gas and that solved the prblem. We ran 90 gallons of fuel through it this weekend and at the end of the third day we got an alarm again. The motor is peeing strong so i dont think it is overheating. The filter still looks clear so I'm not thinking it is fuel restriction although bulb gets soft at times. I looked at the oil resivior and I was below 1/4 tank. Any advice would be appreciated!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson Alarms

Get the factory service manual , your engine will thank you.

Oil alarm starts beeping when you're 1/4 tank down, then goes to constant annoying beep when almost empty. Having the alarm system up to snuff is critical , test the overheat sensor by grounding the brown wire to the block.
I'd install a $40 head temp guage nonetheless.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

bulb should get soft as soon as the fuel pump starts pumping.
J/E Alarms

low oil alarm is a beep every 30 seconds. beep......................beep...................

no oil alarm is a beep every 1/2 second or so.beep,beep,beep

overheat and fuel restriction alarm is a constant beep.beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Mako-My-Day

Recruit

Thank you both! I have ordered a manual. The alarm began after a long period of idleing which is why I was worried with overheating, but like I said it is moving water very well and I have a new water pump. The alarm began as a constant but then was coming in and out. Possibly with the boat moving it was causing the oil to move in the resivior and cause the alarm? What do you think.

jonesg

Admiral

constant beeeep is either temp or fuel restriction.
A temp guage on the dash would show you at a glance if temp is high.

What about the filter between the carbs, isn't there a screw in cone filter there? You could try running on a temp tank to eliminate the tank plumbing from the loop.

Mako-My-Day

Recruit

I have another question. I am changing my plugs and wires myself. Do I need to worry about the gap in the new plugs?

daselbee

Commander

A bit perplexed here....a 1997 225 is a Systems Check engine.
The matching systems Check tach has indicator lights that tell you which fault triggered the alarm.
There will be a "check engine", meaning fuel restriction.....a low oil and no oil,...and a hot light. (This is from memory....)

Just look at the lights.

And yes....030" on the plug gap.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would be keeping the oil tank at filled up after each trip.
Just my humble opinion though.