Hard Start

Jesseminn

Recruit
My well maintained 2004 Johnson 115 hp EFI four-stroke has become increasingly difficult to start "cold." I stabilize my high octane fuel and follow starting instructions by squeezing fuel line bulb and turning the key. Yesterday it took me approximately 30 minutes after several attempts to start. The engine will sputter a bit early in the starting process then die - sometimes with a bit of a backfire. Once it finally starts running and warms up, it runs fine. I've noticed that this problem seems to be getting worse with time. I assume no primer or choke with the EFI. Any ideas? Thanks!

reagon

Cadet
Re: Hard Start

I'd like to hear someone's take on this because I have the exact same problem. I have a 115 hp Johnson v4 '79 and it was starting pretty quickly cold last spring and now it takes about 15 cranks to get it going. It fires and dies quickly at first, then runs a little and dies and finally starts to pick up and run. It's like it's not getting enough fuel when I'm cranking it. Once it's warmed up, it runs great and will crank back up immediately. It's not that big of a problem, I just wonder if this is a common issue and if I should worry about it. Compression is 120 across all four. Good spark, new plugs I have not synced up the throttle and carbs lately but I did rebuild the carbs less than a year ago. No, I did not blow air through the needles, but it was starting very quickly back then.

Jesseminn

Recruit

I haven't been checking this forum regularly. When I winterized in the Fall, I explained the issue to my mechanic and he told me that replacing the plugs solved the problem. I am anxious for ice-out to see if that worked.

Jesseminn

Recruit

My mechanic was absolutely correct. Replacing the plugs resulted in a quick and smooth start as soon as I turned the key. Not bad after sitting in storage all winter. Happy boating all.