GPS Receiver wiring. Help!!

paul91085

Recruit
I have purchased a microplus 16ft boat and it is fitted with an old autohelm unit that i cannot find any manual or instructions for. However, my main issue is how to wire in the GPS receiver to the autohelm unit?

There is a raytheon GPS receiver on the roof of boat, but when i have taken the ceiling out in the boat its a co-axial cable coming form the receiver but its not connected to anything. Instead the lead coming from the NMEA socket (little black wire with smaller coloured wires inside) on the autohelm unit is wired into a little oblong black sealed box which then feeds off to a power source and a mobile magellan GPS reciver that annoyingly didnt come with the boat and therefore i cannot use this.

What i need to know is if its possible to connect the original raytheon GPS receiver to the autohelm or similar GPS device? Or is it an old GPS receiver that uses different connections and needs replacing?

Any help at all would be appreciated :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: GPS Receiver wiring. Help!!

I'm confused. Why would anyone mount a GPS receiver on the roof? Are you sure it's not the antenna? If so, you'll need a head unit to connect between the autopilot and the antenna.

paul91085

Recruit
Re: GPS Receiver wiring. Help!!

Yeah, my mistake:redface:, you are correct it is the antenna. Where can the head units be purchased from? Is it the head unit that takes signal from antenna and then passes that to autohelm? Im new to all this gps info, so very am slowly picking it up as i go along.

Thanks for the reply