prop question

I need to know how to get more speed out of my 150hp Merc xr6? Im gettin about 46mph at almost 6000rpm. Will a different prop help?
thanks for the help.

Orville

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: prop question

Your motor is running about 5000 RPMs too fast. Get the right size prop on it and you should pick up some speed. What size prop is on it now?

LOL..I have no idea. can I measure it some how? When i test drove it the dealer said wide open trimmed out I should operate at 5500-6000rpms? Im not use to a motor this big I always had 70hp Johnson on my older boat. I think a 150hp should go faster than 46mph though. It is on a 18ft tracker Avalanche. :confused:

Thanks again.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Lets double check that. What year is the motor? My manual goes up to 2000 and says the xr6 should run 5000-5500 RPMs at WOT.

It is an 03 and I must correct myself it runs at about 5600 rpm WOT. I was reading the reviews on this boat when it came out and they where running a 14.675 x 23 ventilated, stainless steel prop and getting 63 mph 5600rpm WOT. That is not the prop I have for sure. I just want to be sure im getting the best out of this engine.

thanks for all your help

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can try the mercury marine prop selector. You will need a stainless prop to get best speed, and likely a bow lifting type if for that bass boat. Maybe a laser 2 or that style of prop and you may have to adjust your motor height. The prop will need to be in perfect condition and your boat should be light as possible, run synthetic gear lube too. Some like to run 4 blades now, they run nice and grab better but can take a couple mph off top speed. You will want to run it close/at the top rpm, Mercs like rpm. I got 43mph gps out of a 85hp force on an open bow bayliner, so unless that is a 22' boat or something you should be going faster I'd think.