Synthetic Oil Question for GM 4.3 Litre Engine

dbear1959

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 4 Winns with a 4.3 Vortec GM engine in it (only 130 hours) with Volvo Penta outdrive. The engine runs great! The previous owner always burned the Volvo Penta SAE 30 full synthetic oil in it. Here are my questions...1.) Is the Volvo Penta SAE 30 full synthetic the same thing as a 10-W30 full synthetic? If so I assume I can go to any auto parts store and get a full synthetic 10-W30. It's probably less expensive than buying the Volvo SAE 30 and would also be easier to find. 2.) If I can make this switch is there a preferred brand of 10-W30 full synthetic?

3.) My other thought is if it's not broke don't fix it. The engine runs so strong. Is there anything I need to be concerned about if I do make the change or should it be business as usual? Just not sure if Volvo Penta has done anything special to there oil or if it is just another brand dumped in a Volvo Penta bottle so they can charge more?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dan

jimi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Synthetic Oil Question for GM 4.3 Litre Engine

The Volvo Penta 4.3 manual calls out SAE 30, 15W50 or 20W50 Synthetic oil.

I ran my 4.3 for ten years on 15w50 and it's fine. I rencently found a dealer that sells the SAE30 (rare) so I started using that. No real reason.

The same motor in a Mercruser calls out a different oil grade.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is not the oil it is the additives ---- 10- 30 is great if you make a lot of cold / freezing starts --- else a 30-wt or 15/20 - 50. the closer the numbers the better.

I like synthetic --- I use it in everything --- I use different brands --- I use the Wal-Mart synthetic cheap priced oils --- I do use synthetic blend media filters like Napa Gold, PureOne, etc,.

I have researched this a lot and you all can do the same. ---- IMHO just change oil and filter when the oil gets dirty --- smells like gas --- etc,.

I would use Moly if I found an oil with it that would keep it in suspension. :D

There are too many heated opinions --- use your best guess :)

IMHO --- a good oil thread with a moderator would be nice :rolleyes:

1. I found the following information.

2. The latest research shows.

3. I have had good luck with XYZ and the tear-down shows little wear.

TMTA

OFM

Bondo

Staff member

Another oil thread....

Ayuh,... O Boy, I wanta get in Early,....:D

I run Mobil 1 in 15W-50 in my 4.3LX,+ Mobil 1, 75W-90 in my Alpha 1 outdrive...
I use whatever Hyd. oil that's on my truck when I need it, usually ATF, for both the P/S,+ the Trimpump....

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha, Ha Bond-O your it --- you get to be moderator :eek:

Thanks for the nice post :)

OFM