Identifying year Model

jgwade99

Recruit
I have a Johnson 6HP motor and the cowling/cover has been lost. How do I identify the year model and model number of this outboard motor? I would like to try and find a cowling for it, but before I do, I'm sure I'll need the info requested. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

KB_85_V20

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Identifying year Model

is there a small plate on the port side of the mount? thats where mine is but its much larger(200).

jgwade99

Recruit

I won't be able to check for the label until this weekend. Will provide an answer then.

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

u can just write down a part number from the engine and look it up just type into a internet search bar "johnson 6hp 094281" and it should pop up the year model

jgwade99

Recruit

I don't know any of the part numbers. I thought if I had the year model, then I would be able to determine the part number for the cowling.

jgwade99

Recruit

I finally had the opportunity to check out the motor this weekend. On the transom mounting bracket, I found this information:

Model No. J6RCRM
Serial No. E5873093

Can somene help me determine what year this motor was manufactured?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

J6RCRM = Rope start 1984 6hp Johnson (the "CR" part is the year of manufacture)

INTRODUCES

jgwade99

Recruit

bankerjohn,

Thank you so much for your reply. My next question is if anyone knows where I can find an engine cover for this engine?

Thank you,

Greg

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a link to a motor just like yours that was sold ... thought you might like to see what the cover is supposed to look like!

http://www.smalloutboards.com/e684.htm

Suggestions for finding a cover ... eBay and Craigslist ... local marine repair facilities ...