ballast for a 19' 1989 Regal bowrider

sumdood

Cadet
I have a 1989 Regal bowrider with the 4.3 L V6 Mercruiser Alpha. What would be the best way to add ballast for wakeboarding? It appears to me that if I put 700 lb ballast in the bow, the boat will not plane at 20 MPH and therefore put out a bigger wake.

also, would it be worth the bother and expense to put an aftermarket tower on this boat? I can afford a newer boat, but would rather get more use out of this one as it is in pretty good shape

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: ballast for a 19' 1989 Regal bowrider

I really dont know anything on this but,

That much in the bow seems like a bad idea to me.
Do you have trim tabs? if so crank them all the way down. That should do the trick. Id think that the biggest ones would really put some drag on and make a good wake.
But as i said I really dont know for sure.

The weight in the bow just seems to unstable.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ballast for a 19' 1989 Regal bowrider

I have a 1989 Regal bowrider with the 4.3 L V6 Mercruiser Alpha. What would be the best way to add ballast for wakeboarding? It appears to me that if I put 700 lb ballast in the bow, the boat will not plane at 20 MPH and therefore put out a bigger wake.

also, would it be worth the bother and expense to put an aftermarket tower on this boat? I can afford a newer boat, but would rather get more use out of this one as it is in pretty good shape

So your saying if you put 700lbs in the BOW it wont plane out:confused::D:confused::D

If you put 700 lbs in the bow, youd be dipping the front end in rollers all day long.

Tower, if you got $400-600 you can find a tower, or build your own DIY pylon for $50-100. Works the same, but you cant put your boards on a diy pylon.

as far as weight.

maybe drop 200-300lbs in the bow.
few hundred in the ski locker
200 each side of the motor.

You just added ~800lbs of ballast, and increased your wake size and firmness.