Boating at Cave Run Lake, Ky. Anyone been there?

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We were thinking of going there but I can't find much information about it. Was hoping to find someone with firsthand experience.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating at Cave Run Lake, Ky. Anyone been there?

I know this is a little late but Ive boated there for many, many years. Spent most of the summer there also.

What all do you need to know?

chucko

Cadet

I live 20 miles from cave run. Im stuck fixing my motor, or I would have been over there. Chucko/62 glasspar deluxe marathon runabout.

ky gravy

Cadet

First, it is one of the lakes in Kentucky that has Muskie - the fish of a thousand casts- and some big ones. I like the lake, it is very pretty sort of nestled in the among some big hills/mountains. But, because if the these hills, it can get very choppy from winds funneled down the main channel. As evidence, there are some large sailboats on the lake. Easy access from I-64 East of Lexington makes it east to get to...

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks or responses. We ended up going there about sept 26th. Weather was good, not cold not hot. Due to the threat of rain the campground wasn't too crowded until the weekend ( Story telling festival ). The first night we had the whole camp loop to ourselves. The lake wasn't as big as I thought though. At the one end I'm glad I asked a guy fishing what the bouys were for. I think they were green and red. He said to stay between them to ovoid stumps. All and all it is a nice place.

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

I personally love that lake. Its not too big but not too small for boating although it can get a bit crowed during peak months of the summer. You must of went pretty far up the river if you got into the red and green bouys and yes, you must stay between them to stay away from stumps unless youre fishing or whatever.

Its almost ALWAYS windy on that lake though. Can get very annoying for houseboaters but the sailboaters love it.