40hp force power trim issue

scottymac

Recruit
I have searched this site looking for specific info on a power trim issue I have.
My problem is this. My trim works intermittent. And, it still works up and down. Sometimes it will work for awhile in both directions. When testing it when it doesn't work, I still here a click from the motor. My fluid level is good, no leaks,etc. At the times I need it most, it won't work. Being that it still works,occasionally, could it be the relays or could it be as simple as a loose connection? What could I try. Getting frustrated.:mad:

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 40hp force power trim issue

Yes check and clean all connections, especially the one at the boat harness.

RRitt

Captain

sounds like loose connection at relays. If it was at switch you wouldn't hear the clicking of relays. If it was at motor it probably would not be so random. Only thing left is power & ground circuits from battery through relays and on to the motor.

kdanh

Recruit

I have had the same issue. Check your trim relays as they might be bad. I ordered mine from http://www.rallylights.com and the Susquehanna's part number is HL87413 for Hella (4RD 960 388-32).

RRitt

Captain

it might be easier to try amazon or ebay where you can search for "trim relay". Neighborhood NAPA should have something too for around $12-$15. Take your old one with you and they can match schematic on side. It's basically a standard buick part that goes back to 1960's.

scottymac

Recruit

Thanks to those responses. I ordered 2 relays to replace. Just after ordering them, I read an article on a different site that shed some new light on my trim issue. One gentleman said every season he sprays his contacts with cleaner and a coating. This was after he had the same problem. He says the trim has been working fine ever since. Another gentleman said the relay he thought was bad was really the good one, being that they both are tied together. For the amount of money for each,$8.00, I'm replacing both. Thanks again!

RRitt

Captain

The clicking noise you heard was the relay. Which pretty much means that your old relays are probably good. The relay coils do not click. The contacts do. And if your relay is pulling down the contact then it is working. However, you may very well fix the problem by the act of replacing relays - if the problem is a loose or corroded connection in relay wiring.

Long story made short - make sure your connectors are clean and shiny. Not just the relay posts but also the wire terminations.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

napa use to sell contact enhancer, which would chemically increase the area of contact between connections[actually just make everything connect better due to the chemicals in the enhancer]. It worked great on some problem relays I had,and you might check local electronic store to see if they have an equivalent ,its worth its weight in gold in certain circumstances.