2001 75hp ELPTO barely runs at WOT

UFish

Recruit
Help. I bought a 2001 Tracker Deep V17 with a 75hp ELPTO about 2 months ago. It had about a half tank (6 gal) of fuel in it when I picked it up. I topped it off and took it out on a local lake about 1 week after I bought it for a trial run and it ran beautifully. This past weekend I used the boat to go fishing and ran it about 20 miles WOT from the marina to the first fishing spot and shut it off to fish for about 2 hours. Tried to start the motor to move to another spot and had to choke it and give it about half throttle to get it started. When it finally started it idled really rough and it died when I put it in forward or reverse. I finally decided to just go from neutral to forward gear and WOT and it stayed running but just barely and really rough. It would only go about 4-5 knot running that way and consumed about 12 gallons of fuel before I ran out and had to be towed back to the marina. (BTW, it only used about 3-4 gal to make the original 20 mile run). Can anyone give me some clue as to what the problem might be? I'm thinking there may be water in the fuel or something of that nature? I'm going to pull the plugs now to see if there's a clue from their condition.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 75hp ELPTO barely runs at WOT

You said fuel how about oil in the gas or do you have a tank on 75hp? If you are ok there then your fuel pump diaphram needs replacment or just open it up and check it. The rubber can turn around and do weird things. Sounds like shes not getting fuel.

UFish

Recruit
Re: 2001 75hp ELPTO barely runs at WOT

Thanks for the suggestion but I found the problem today. It was a split in the fuel line just after the pump. It was not getting fuel because the fuel was being dumped overboard through the lower cover drain. :redface: Hence the outrageous consumption!