1986 Force 50 Stiff Steering

greyranch

Recruit
Hi,I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri with a Force 50 that runs great.The only issue I have is the steering is very stiff.I cannot get grease to the upper bearing but it easily comes out of the lower bearing.There doesnt seem to be any play in steering shaft.I have tried heat on the upper housing but doesnt seem to help.Any other tricks short of tearing it apart?? Thanks in advance for any advise or experiences,Brad

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1986 Force 50 Stiff Steering

Isolate the area where it's stiff. Steering wheel, cable or motor.

LTLhawk

Cadet

I recently bought a boat and the steering was completely frozen (I should have checked this before buying it). anyway, I disconnected the linkage that comes out of the motor side and then turned the wheel. The wheel turned and the motor turned so the problem has to be in the motor mount (not sure what that thing is called). I put a screw driver in the end of the linkage and worked it back and forth awhile and then it started moving in and out. I greased it up real good and now it works fine. I need to replace the grease fittings and that is problably why it got froze up in the first place.

greyranch

Recruit

Hi,thanks for the responses.The steering is stiff at the motor.I can spray penetrating oil at the top part of the steering pivot and get it to move freely,but I cant get grease to the top,even if I heat the housing with a torch.Seems grease pushes too easily out bottom of pivot,not allowing grease to get to the top.Will probably have to disassemble this winter and repair.Thanks,Brad