1974 sidewinder seat gelcoat

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
First try at gelcoating.Now to find the cash for the rest of boat. Sorry for small pic cant get photobucket to load for some reason

Attachments

• PIC_0539.jpg
    PIC_0539.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

drewpster

Commander
Re: !974 sidewinder seat gelcoat

Re: !974 sidewinder seat gelcoat

Did not come through tree. Try posting the pic again.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 sidewinder seat gelcoat

hears the pic had to edit Photobucket keeps saying invalid something

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I was told you dont mix gel with this it just sprays down.Lays flat with almost no sanding.Sound way to good to be true.Just want to see if anyone else has used this.

kkelley

Cadet

looks like you have red metal flake. how or what was mixed to get such a result need to do the same on my boat

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I mixed 1 tablespoon of polyflake with 1 oz of duratec/gelmix.It mixes 1/1.Sprayed out of a 2.5 tipped ebay special.1 coat of flake 1 coat of clear mixed same just without flake.Has a small amount of orange peel but flake sprays rough.Tried gel/stryen but it didnt spray well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Duratec clear is typically mixed with gel coat to make it spray better and cure tack free, and it will do those things. Its just one more thing that you can use in gel coat that "may" help you apply it (like styrene), but also has negative affects. There is no miracle concoction that takes all the work out using gel coat when using it to recoat surfaces, they all create other issues. Most decrease the weather and water resistance, plus make it more brittle, or softer. These problems may not show up right away, but over time the performance of the gel coat is reduced.

Spraying metal flake is a several step process, you need a background color, a layer with flake mixed with clear and then at least one layer of just clear (possibly more) to sand on.

kkelley

Cadet

so let me ask a stupid question could i spray clear gelcoat over the flake as a clear coat or is that too far out there?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

You have to put clear over the flake then sand and buff.Im Going with at least 2 might do 3 coats before I sand.