1994 140hp- runs,seizes, runs???

trtex

Recruit
1994 140hp Suzuki- Out running around for an hour, slowed to go through a bridge- engine stops, will not crank or start with starter motor (engine seized). Get towed in. That day, tried to spin engine using impact drill on flywheel nut- would not move!! Two weeks later try starting- engine starts to move- pull plugs and lube cylinders. Engine is fine after this...starts and runs fine on trailer for 1/2 hour. Talk to mechanic, figures oveheating and I got lucky.Take to mechanic to get new water pump, thermostat and compression check. Compression is fine all cylinders, so they do the work-replace water pump and thermostat. Pick up boat and take it out for a test- runs great for 15 minutes- slow down for no wake zone- engine stops and will not spin with starter just like before- seized up again!!! No lights or horns for low oil or overheating!! A day later, engine spins and starts with starter- run for 1 hour on trailer(with muffs). no problems. Restarts fine and runs smooth. Compression is still fine all cylinders. Why does it stall and seize when slowing down after running fine?? Mechanic has no ideas!! If it just stalled...could live with that....but engine seizes and need to be towed in! Thanks for your thoughts.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1994 140hp- runs,seizes, runs???

Are you sure it is the motor that is seizing or is it the lower unit?
Have you checked the lower unit oil?
Next time it seizes drop the lower unit and see if the motor will free up.

trtex

Recruit

Lower unit was just off for the water pump replacement and oil refilled by mechanic. Old oil was fine according to mechanic. I guess it could still be something in the lower unit binding. I'll run it by my mechanic. Thanks for the thought.

trtex

Recruit

Well, it was the lower unit. Something getting hot and binding up in there. Took a while to find this problem. Top end is fine. Looking for a lower unit now!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Is it not repairable?
The only time I have seen this happen before was when the lower unit did not have oil in it and it ran for 40 miles offshore and half way back before it seized.
That is why I like to do things myself. Now you can wonder if the unit had oil in it when you got from the shop or did something just go bad.