1973 johnson 65hp help?

ooga-booga

Recruit
hey hows it going this is my first post here and hope you guys can help me.
i bought this boat about a month ago and has a 1973 johnson 65hp outboard.
i have took it to the lake like 4 and never hade a problem beside normal problems the came with an engine this old. well last weekend i was at the lake crusing and the engine stalled and wouldent turn over. i waited like an hour or so and it started i dorve i for like 15 minutes hoping to make it back to the docks and it stalled again and once agin couldent start it so i had a guy tow me back. i think it was over heating but not sure. there was no water flowing out of my engine like it should be. when it stalled i was trying to turn it over and it was acting like it had no spark and there was fuel rising from the prop to the surface of the water.so if it over heated would it act like it has no spark? thanks guys for the help

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 johnson 65hp help?

Look towards the top of your cylinder for a single wire, tan I think, that goes to your temp sender. Turn your key to on, disconnect the wire and touch the harness end to ground. That should make your overheat horn sound. If it works you probably did not overheat your engine. You need to do some basic checks, compression, spark and fuel delivery. There are ign componets that can overheat and cause loss of spark also. You might want to get a factory manual, you will need it to check out your engine.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The primary exit point for cooling water on your engine, is the vertical slits on the gearcase, just above the cavitation plate. You might see a light spray coming out of the two round holes on th back of the midsection, but that's about it.

Sometimes a failing powerpack will do what you have described, but there are other possibilities too. The best favor that you can do for yourself, is to get a factory service manual. Iboats should have them and they will be available at other internet sources, as well. Go through the troubleshooting procedures, untill you isolate the problem.

Let us know how you are making out.

???

ooga-booga

Recruit

ok well i check the slits that you were talking about and they were bone dry the guy i bought it from said that he let the boat set for a year and suggested that i change out the impeller so im going to check that out first
and tear it down just to make shure that it's not a problem. i did a compression test and they all came out aroung 105 so that out. ill keep you guys updated let me know if you guys have any thing that comes to mind thx.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you've overheated the motor a couple of times trying to get back to the dock, you may have done damage to it. You should probably chnage the head gasket at a minimum and can examine the cylinder bores, while you have the head off.

Compression values of 105 psi are not particularly good for that motor. As built, they would be about 150 psi. The good news is that the values are high enough for the motor to run and they are even. As long as you have not done major damage to the internals, you will probably be able to use the motor for awhile.

BTW, you did wait about 45 seconds or so to let the thermostat open, before pronouncing the water pump DOA, didn't you?

???