1991 Trailer from California to Michigan

thunked

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1991 Bayliner Capri 19' - it is on a trailer from the same year. We are moving to Michigan and I want to bring the boat there. The drive from San Diego to Michigan is 2400 miles. Is this even possible for a boat trailer to handle that kind of mileage? I will be going from San Diego to Denver on Day 1 and on Day 2 Denver to Michigan. So roughly 1200 miles day 1, 1200 miles Day 2.

Advice appreciated. Thank you!

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 Trailer from California to Michigan

Can a boat be trailered 2400 miles? sure.

Can your 1991 trailer handle the job? It depends on it's condition. A well maintaned 1991 trailer is better than a neglected 2005 tailer. How well do you maintain your trailer?

1200 mile in 24 hrs? I think that is really pushing it. You would have to go 75mph for 16 hrs with no breaks.

If the trailer is in great shape, you have all the right emergencey parts and a little more time it is doable.

Also- make sure the tow vehicle is up to the job.

I would take 3 days, not two.

thunked

Cadet

Really appreciate the response. The boat is fairly light.

What would the parts I should have be? I can bring 2 spares. Just wondering what the worst case parts issue would require -would it be an tire/axle blowing out?

How well do I maintain it? I've taken it in saltwater and I rinse everything down everytime, although it is not galvanized. I add grease to the bearings. I took it to Havasu somewhat recently with no issues and things didn't feel particularly hot even with what I believe was a 6-7 hour drive there.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would take a spare trailer hub or two that comes ready to go with bearings and a seal already in place, a good hydrolic jack, a grease gun and a temperature gun. I say the temperature gun cause I have one, but if you don't then do the old fashion way and I would check the temperature of the hubs/tires on every break/stop.

I assume you will repack your bearing before the trip?

this forum wont let me

Seaman Apprentice

Grease the bearing's before you go, for sure. I like 2 spare tires, but one will hopefully be good. If something blows, put the spare on and find a new one on the way to buy, just in case. I trailer my boat, as well as a show car, many miles a year every time and I mean every time we stop, we check the tie downs. don't be lazy, check them, they will loosen up a bit after a long ride. I also turn on my headlights at the time of stop to see that the lights are at least on with headlights. Check the bow winch, the safety chain is still on, and the two stern tie downs. If your tie downs are frayed at all spend the $ and get some new ones, if you are making a long ride. I like to have a flashlight ready at all times, with good batteries, a roadside (good) jack, with maybe even a small block of wood if needed. Bring a small tool kit, by that I mean at least a socket set. Before I leave, I make sure the tires are in good condition, as well as the proper air pressure. Maybe some would say I am OCD, I like to call myself "prepared". I wish you the best of luck, bring change for the tolls, it will cost more with the trailer.

thunked

Cadet

I would take a spare trailer hub or two that comes ready to go with bearings and a seal already in place, a good hydrolic jack, a grease gun and a temperature gun. I say the temperature gun cause I have one, but if you don't then do the old fashion way and I would check the temperature of the hubs/tires on every break/stop.

I assume you will repack your bearing before the trip?

Thanks again for the response.

I don't know what repacking the bearings is like - I have the grease gun with nozzle and I apply grease that way. What I'm wondering though - it looks like these trailer hubs are only 40-50$ each? I would even pay up to like 60-70 for good ones - and just put those on before I go? I'm ok with 100-200 before I go if it further insures that I won't have to jack up the trailer on the side of dangerous road. Do you think that's a good idea just to replace before I go and bring an extra hub? I have a friend that works on tractors and has all the equipment to put these on correctly.

Thanks!!!

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 on the bearing repack. I would have the bearings /races checked and repacked, or just replace them. They are not that expensive, and if bearings fail during highway speeds, it could cost you an axle. Not trying to worry you, but, it a lot cheaper to check it now.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you don't know how to pack bearings you very likely have no idea how to adjust the preload on them either so it really is moot point what to bring along. I would suggest you check the tires and replace them if necessary. I suspect you do know how to change a tire so the small bottle jack and the proper size lug wrench would be necessary. Make sure the lights work. Beyond that, you will not have the tools to properly change a bearing on the road so make sure your AAA is up to date and let them worry about a breakdown. One last bit of advice. Inflate the tires to the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

fishrdan

Admiral

If the trailer is in good condition (bearings packed, tires, lights, etc) I wouldn't be too concerned towing 2400 miles, yes take spare tire(s) and hub. I would be more concerned about my route and tow vehicle's capacity. I've gone from Las Vegas - Wisconsin about 10 times and wouldn't want to tow a 19'er through the Rockies via Grand Junction, guess it depends on your tow vehicle though... Going through Salt Lake and bypassing Denver was a bit better, but still a bunch of mountain driving, about 100 miles longer.

Maybe look at a south route? It would be longer, but most likely better traveling and possibly quicker.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Michigan!

As implied earlier, 75MPH may be a little fast towing a trailer, especially through the mountains. If I recall correctly, in some states the speed limit for towing a trailer is only 55MPH. I have not done what you are planning, but the one thing that I would wonder about that is not mentioned above is your brakes, especially given the salt water history. You do have functioning brakes on the trailer? Perhaps you might want to get them checked out before leaving California.

Of the topic... Why are you coming to Michigan? Especially this time of year. Especially leaving San Diego!!

TerryMSU

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

2400 miles to go...

I brought my 25 ft 5500 lb boat 2500 miles from Florida to Vegas. I bought 2 spares on rims for the trip. Blow-out day one, blow-out day two, replaced the 2 remaining "old" tires and no further problems. I checked the trailer constantly. We took 5 days and I was wiped from the drive.

2400 miles in 2 days, are you nuts? We're driving 2400 miles to Virginia later this week, and plan on 4 days without the trailer and boat. I don't know the reason you're pushing the drive so hard. Financial, I understand. I'd plan on including multiple rest stops where you can catch a few zzz's in the seat. The more you push yourself, the more you push the tow vehicle and trailer.

Best of luck.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Hello,

I have a 1991 Bayliner Capri 19' - it is on a trailer from the same year. We are moving to Michigan and I want to bring the boat there. The drive from San Diego to Michigan is 2400 miles. Is this even possible for a boat trailer to handle that kind of mileage? I will be going from San Diego to Denver on Day 1 and on Day 2 Denver to Michigan. So roughly 1200 miles day 1, 1200 miles Day 2.

Advice appreciated. Thank you!

what tow vehicle are you pulling this approx. #3000 lb boat and trailer with? you will NEVER get a steady 75 mph all the way there, heck all thru CA its 55 mph with a trailer. And, your climbing mountain ranges the first half of the way thru. legally, a professional truck driver cant drive more than 15 hours in one day, so I would also stay under that limit for safety's sake as well.

NYBo

Admiral

Lots of good advice so far, but I'll one more suggestion: Replace the tires/wheels, and carry your current ones for spares.

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why don't you sell your boat and buy a new one in Michigan. You will save money for new trailers tires and bearing repack. You will also save a lot on gas by not towing your boat the 2,400 miles. Because of Michigan ecomony, there are a lot of nice boats for sale at low prices. Also, because of long winters, many boats have low hours for there age.

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with Dave. Sell it and buy a freshwater boat in The Great Lake State. My guess it you will save $500 in gas by not towing. Plus the W & T on the vehick, and your sanity. What has been your longest tow so far?

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would at least have your friend install new hubs with new bearings and seals, if equipped with breaks have them gone over as well. Good/or new tires are a must along with a spare or two. I live in salt lake city and can assure you (depending on your route of travel) you are not going to be going 75 mph through the canyon, be glad if you crest the summit at 50 it is a brutal pull followed by a curvy mountian road until you get to the 80 connector. From there it's not too bad through evanston but about 10-15 miles outside of evanston the three sisters start you into a pretty hilly drive all the way through rock springs. The limit in wyoming is 75 but doing it with a trailer is a different story. The trailer can handle it if prepped properly. It is not much different than the front end of a 2wd truck setup wise. I had a buddy some years back drive from grand rapids to lake powell where I met him for a week on the lake. He and a friend took turns and drove straight through, "never again" was his first comments to me. Good luck if all is up to snuff you should be fine, but don't even try if you arent 100% sure in your equipment.