Loose Bunk Board fasteners....what does this require??

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed that most all the bolts are loose holding the bunk boards to the trailer tabs. I tried to tighten them but they are stripped. Does this mean I have to replace the bunk boards? I assume the bolts just screw into the wood w/o any type of anchor? It is a single axle Eagle trailer for 19' boat. Thanks for the help.

paul

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Loose Bunk Board fasteners....what does this require??

We can't see your trailer so you need to determine how they are held on. They are either lag bolted or through bolted. Lag bolts are simply great big screws and because the bunks are rotten or beginning to get that way, the lags lost their grip. Through bolts use bolts, flat washers and nuts with a recessed area in the bunk board for the head of the bolts. Either way works. Whether or not the boards need replacing depends on what you find.

99z286spd

Cadet

I had the same problem except i didnt find out about it till the bunk floated off in the water after I backed the trailer in to retrieve my boat!!! Whoa!!!:eek:

I used a bungee wrapped around it to hold it on to get the boat home. I bought a 12 ft pressure treated 2x6 and (8) 1 1/2 inch lag bolts with washers. I cut the board in half and used the carpet from the origional boards since it was in good shape...and stapled it back on. I used my F150's jack and a piece of wood on the bottom of the hull to jack it up against the trailer frame just enough to get the wood in. I did one side at a time and set the wood in place and pre drilled small holes to aid in getting the lags to catch.

All total I spent maybe $12.00 to fix this problem. I hope this may help you.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i re-did mine in this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=298768&highlight=trailer+project

I used carriage bolts thru bolted with lockwashers and nuts, countersunk the heads. it took some time, but its done right. I just didnt like the idea of lags with the lateral force of launching/retrieving, etc.
Also, it gives you a chance to redo the carpet and everything while your at it.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I redid mine in the parking lot at the ramp on a quiet day. I beached the boat and did it right in the parking lot. I cut the bunks to length at home and used a battery powered drill to drill the holes. In my case, the bunks were through bolted with carriage bolts, so I was able to re-use those. Instead of carpet, I used bunk slides. I figure that the carpet just keeps everything wet and ready to rot. It took a total of about an hour.

If you use carpet, you might want to attach the carpet before you leave home. Use either stainless or monel staples.

One more very important thing. If your boat is aluminum, then DON"T use pressure treated. PT lumber will eat holes through your aluminum. Also, it requires special hardware in order not to have galvaninc issues. In fact, it has issues anytime it has contact with bare metal, so I would just avoid it altogether. If you want rot resistance, you might try to get white cedar or redwood instead of just pine. My original bunks appeared to be just ordinary pine, and they lasted for almost twenty years and then the reason that I replaced them was because one was split, not because of rot.

TerryMSU