Schools

txswinner

Banned
Just how much control do you believe the Federal Gov't should have over schools. For my money next to none. Just food for thought.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Schools

IMO, all schools should be privatized. No more public schools, all 100% vouchers, parents can send kids to whatever school they want and pay for everything with the vouchers.<br /><br />Not exatly practical, but I call it a goal.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't mind if the Fed sets minimum criteria for issueing credentials like diplomas and degrees.<br /><br />I would like them not to mess with state and local business beyond that, including taxing and funding.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

However, it is painfully obvious that some states cant educate.<br /><br />When Katrina refugees enrolled in Texas schools, they have to pass standardized test to go on to the next grade.<br /><br />They failed them miserably. Not even close.<br /> http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_083140510.html <br /><br />Pretty good indication of the quality of Louisiana schools.<br /><br />Ken

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Nah KIZ, that wasn't the problem. Our kids aren't really that much smarter than theirs. The problem is they take a different standardized tests. Our teachers teach what it takes to pass our tests, theirs teach what it takes to pass theirs. Sad but true.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I know they teach for the test, but I cant see that there would be that many fail because of that reason.<br /><br />My son just took the TAKS test. Reading test is just read a story, then answer questions about that story. Either you can read and understand the story and questions or you cant.<br /><br />Math test may be different as LA kids may not have been taught the same things as TX kids.<br /><br />Ken

rolmops

Vice Admiral

If you completely privatize schools,then pretty soon you will find whackos teaching whacky things.<br />There has to be a standard that everybody has to live up to.As bad as standardized testing is,it is a lot better than no standards.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> If you completely privatize schools,then pretty soon you will find whackos teaching whacky things....
We don't have that already? :confused:

Twidget

Commander

You stole my question RF. :) <br /><br />Thanks to the TAKS test, no child in my sons school was taught how to write in cursive. His entire class must be headed for medical school judging by the writing on their projects. The teachers spend the entire year teaching the test(s) for that year and not the coursework.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Is the presumption that the questions on the test do not reflect the coursework?

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's that really scary standard rolmops . . . what the customer will accept ;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> If you completely privatize schools,then pretty soon you will find whackos teaching whacky things.
Absolutely right rolmops. You might have schools teaching that George Washington was a complete historical anomaly. That he embodied the spirit of this new experiment. That even though he owned slaves, he was trouble by it. That by his absolute heroics and discipline he set the stage for that institution to be abolished. <br /><br />Why you might even have schools teaching the wonder of most American history, to the point that students would grow up with a knowledge of and a pride in this greatest country in the history of mankind.<br /><br />But alas you and your ilk want to stew in the lowest common denominator that we now see in N'aleens. :mad:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Boomyal,what's all this about?<br />Me and my ilk????I think you completely misunderstand me.<br />At least in my eyes education has nothing to do with politics.It is about math,reading, writing, physics and biology and the like.Social studies should enable a kid to point out where this or that country is and what its capital is called.Economics is about economics.Biology would teach evolution and religion can discuss creation.<br />In order to ensure that all of this will happen at a reasonable level,every single school in this country should have to give the same written tests which would make up half the yearly test score.The other half would be made up from tests as chosen by the teachers.As far as education is concerned,that is what I want for my kids.I have no idea what you and your ilk want.<br />I do know that as an employer I want to be able to see what scores my job candidates had on their national test. It would give me a very stable piece of information.<br />My greatest fear is that many very small private schools would hire uncertified teachers whose teaching would be below the acceptable level and without standardized testing that could easily become a reality.<br />I am a product of a classical european education and it is my belief that America should strive to reach that level.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

If the schools take zero federal dollars the feds should have no say. If they take the funds they live with their deal.<br /><br />I think we would all be better off if we actually taught our students to read, assuming they are American citizens, do math, and history. A little less gym, sex ed, social activism, art, organized skip days, after hours sports, and political indoctrination. Teach them to read, write, do math, and have a historical understanding and they will perform greatness.<br /><br />rolmops<br /><br />At least in my eyes education has nothing to do with politics.It is about math,reading, writing, physics and biology and the like.Social studies should enable a kid to point out where this or that country is and what its capital is called.Economics is about economics.Biology would teach evolution and religion can discuss creation.<br />In order to ensure that all of this will happen at a reasonable level,every single school in this country should have to give the same written tests which would make up half the yearly test score.The other half would be made up from tests as chosen by the teachers.As far as education is concerned,that is what I want for my kids.<br /><br />I agree completely.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Privitized schools gives the choices back to the parents.<br /><br />Dont want prayer in your kids school, pick that one.<br /><br />They will have to teach similar skills and pass the same standard tests.<br /><br />Ken

tommays

Admiral

Ha Ha<br /><br />My son is a college senior and took a job at a learning center teaching handicapped children this summer :) <br /><br />A LOT of teachers FAILED the learning centers spelling and other tests :eek: <br /><br /><br />tommays

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even in Texas home schooled students score higher in scholastic achievement tests than public school students.<br /><br />Of course, the school experience offers more than scholastic achievement. . .some valuable, more terrible.<br /><br />I believe that a return to discipline in public schools would bear sweet fruit.

--GQ--

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhhh this is truly a Kodak moment. Guess I'll capture this picture in clippings and leave the thread intact. <br /><br />This is exactly what I have in mind. The power of unity when our brains combined. The Left, the Right engaging in a fruitful debate. A first since I've been here, six Months to this date. Calmly exchanging ideas, focused on the subject and never loose sight. Almost a full day, 17 posts later and yet a single fight. WE speak what we please, no feeling on hold. And we did it tactfully without using a pic of a troll. Pad yourself on the back folks. You all did good. If we remain respectful, our feelings will be understood. I hope to see this format continues to carry on. Ignore what happened in the pass and let gone be bygone. Last but not least I would like to apologize. On behalf of all the members who made us laugh and sometime cry. As you were, I hope nothing important I missed. Now that I have your attention, go chew on this.<br /><br />Privatizing our school system will result in unpredictable consequences.<br /><br />First off-all standardization is a dilemma. Who will write the tests and who will enforce every Mom & Pop schools to make sure they are using the same tests? What about teachers/staffs qualifications just to point a few.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by --GQ--:<br /> Privatizing our school system will result in unpredictable consequences.
If some of those consequences are good, we'll smile. If some of those consequences are bad are we somehow simultaneously paralyzed and incapable of change and growth? I thought that's what progressives tout? Change and growth? :confused: