starter freezing up after running?

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
after i run my motor for awhile, and turn it off for 1min-30 min,the starter will not spin when i turn the key. it seems to be freezing up due to heat. i just have to spin the starter gear up with my fingers, and give the flywheel a good push and it frees up. its not terribly hard, but it is a pain. not to mention all the looks i get. is my starter bad? or does it need some sort of lube?

the starter is 1 yr old.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: starter freezing up after running?

a drop or 2 of "3 N 1 oil"

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advise, but i doubt it is the wiring, after i un-seize it it spins fine. The battery could probabily use a charging, its been at dock for 2 months without being charged.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

you probably have a burnt spot on the armature end and the brushes contact that, not making electrical connection. Or a brush is sticking/worn, not making contact. Have the starter rebuilt and you should be fine.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess i will have it rebuilt when the season ends. As long as i can get my motor started im happy. it keeps getting colder and colder :(. i guess it dosent help that it is a $70 ebay starter.