Mercruiser 5.7 boat should I buy?

foxtrotboss

Seaman Apprentice
I have this guy who wants to trade a 1987 larson delta sportcruiser of his for something I have but:

He bought this boat this spring and the guy he bought it from just pulled out of storage, and did not de-winterize before selling.

Now this guy who just bought it says he went to de-winterize it and realized there was anti-freeze in the oil so he changed it all out. Put a fresh battery in it and the starter just clicks. He doesn't know why there was anti-freeze in the oil and he doesn't know why it wont turn over. He just figures to save time and trouble one should just repower with a fresh motor.

the rest of the boat is in decent condition for an 1987 boat.

My question is to the experts what is the possibility of fixing this motor?
Do I really need to get another motor? Can the motor I have left over from my Camaro work with apropiate marine stuff bolted to it?

The last boat I bought without asking questions was a Force 125 outboard and to this day I regret it.

Thanks for any advice and info you can give me.

Scott

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser 5.7 boat should I buy?

Get someone who knows what they're doing to do an evaluation of the engine or get an engine survey. REALLLLY NOT SMART to buy an engine with contaminated oil.

I don't know the specs of a camaro engine...but friend put a corvette engine in a 22' searay. It ran great...until it blew up.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do you want those headaches? What's he want to trade for, a hand drill or something?

foxtrotboss

Seaman Apprentice

I would be trading my headaches for his headaches. He wants my Bayliner with a Force 125 in trade. My Force 125 LU just went out and caused the flywheel to sheer off the key. He wants a smaller boat and we want a bigger boat. They both need to be repowered.

Scott

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well I would rather have to rebuild a 350 than a force anything, but thats just me.