What is your distance from tailgate to bow?

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Had an earlier post about how light my tonque weight is. Was able to move the boat forward 3-4" and raise the rear, and add a spare tire which bumped it up to 65lbs. Towed it today and it wasn't bad but still not right. It was mentioned in the post that I may have to move the axle to the rear. I got to looking at the tongue on the trailer (it's a tilt trailer) and there is 6' from the tailgate to the bow. Every other trailer I have is 3.5 to 4.5. Would I get the same results as moving the axle back if I cut the tongue off 1 or 1.5' ?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: What is your distance from tailgate to bow?

I was looking at your photos you need to move the wheels back you have way to much over hang. Nice looking boat you did a good job. Do not cut down the tongue that will not give you the results you are looking for

Bifflefan

Commander

What is the real problem?

That boat and trailer, with motor cant go over 1500 lbs. Unless your towing it with a Honda or a Mini Cooper, you shouldnt even know its back there.

Is it tounge wagging on you at hwy speed? If so then stack all your gear in the front when you tow.

You can take some length off the tounge and that will get the weight up.
It makes it harder to back up tho.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Biffle,
The tongue doesn't wag, the tail does. It's quite a bit better since I got the boat forward and added the spare, and all the gear. Went from 13lbs to 65. Still need to mount a deep cycle in the bow. But its still a little squirelly, but not real bad. But sooner or later I want to add my kicker to the back which will lighten it back up. And I don't want to deal with taking it off and on to tow. For now I'll keep it slow and look forward to a winter project. Not a big deal, and the old shackles don't need to come off so I'll just get some new ones and weld them on.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Problem not solved but at least an easy solution is found. Never seen this on trailer before but the spring shackles are welded to plate which is clamped to the frame of the trailer. I can just loosen the clamps and slide the springs to the rear.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's the idea. The entire sub-frame carrying the springs allows for this adjustability.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I have honestly never seen that before. Always had shackles welded to the frame and assumed they were all that way. But it makes sense when you consider any number of boat manufacturer that the trailer companies ship to.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yep, that is all you needed. You had too much weight behind the trailer center pivot point (the axle). Shifting it rearward changes that pivot point and lessens the weight behind it by shifting it to the front.

Agreed, on boat trailers, the axles are secured with clamps to the frames to aid in the ease of axle adjustment as this is a neccessary step of proper trailer setup and weight distribution and it varies form boat to boat, even of the same models sometimes depending on rigging...