Restoring my Dads boat

Mr Flash

Cadet
My 1st time here. I know am the proud owner of a 1973 18' suersprt 120 hp I/O. I have the engine running but I need to replace the front engine waterpump. Any suggestions on how to lift the engine w/o a cherry picker?
I am also replacing the deck. I have 1/2 PT plywood. I need suggestions on the below deck foam. Some of it was broken up. Do I keep looking for closed cell sheets of styrofoam or do I go with the mix and pour it under the flooring? Anything special I need to do when tacking down the flooring?

Thanks a ton!

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring my Dads boat

you dont want to use pressure treated ply. there is a chemiacl in the new p/t ply that has a bad reaction with the aluminum . the foam .. you can just use the blue or pink stuff that haome depot carries.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I replaced the fan belt on my 120 gmc I/O by wedging a piece of wood under the motor front and then removed the front engine mount. Do you really need to raise the engine to do the water pump. What tells you it is bad, they very seldom go bad , lack of cooling water is usually the water pump in the lower section of the outdrive .

Mr Flash

Cadet

I replaced the fan belt on my 120 gmc I/O by wedging a piece of wood under the motor front and then removed the front engine mount. Do you really need to raise the engine to do the water pump. What tells you it is bad, they very seldom go bad , lack of cooling water is usually the water pump in the lower section of the outdrive .

I got the engine running and with water on the out drive there was a contant drip from the waterpump. I figured this was the sign. It did not look like it was coming from the hose. The boat has sat for about 25 years.
Thanx

Mr Flash

Cadet

you dont want to use pressure treated ply. there is a chemiacl in the new p/t ply that has a bad reaction with the aluminum . the foam .. you can just use the blue or pink stuff that haome depot carries.

Wow, I have not heard this. What type of reaction occurs? I was told this would be fine. Can I treat the underside of the plywood to prevent this?

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

You can hold the front of the engine up with wood and remove the front engine mount without removing the engine to change your pump, and change the belt while you are at it. I would check the lower unit pump too as it has sat for so long. agree on no pt plywood, the copper in it reacts with the aluminum.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Pressure treated wood contains some obnoxious chemicals, I am not sure about any chemical reaction with other materials but being barefoot and having my kids in the boat left me wondering. Marine grade may be different, I don?t know, but it is way more expensive. I used standard ply on my floor but coated the bottom of the ply with a gel coat prior to install, and then fiberglass fabric on top.

If your leak is coming from the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump then its got bad bearing seals and is in need of replacement. If its coming from hose or gaskets it should be good to just replace those and keep the pump.