Alpha One Will not trim up

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having a problem with the trim on my 98 Alpha one connected to a 4.3l engine.

The trim goes down fine but when it comes up the pump is louder than usual and may or may not go up.

We had trouble getting it out of the water today. I had to lift up on the outdrive while my wife pressed the button.

Any ideas?

I just tried it in the driveway and had the same problem. The fluid looked like mustard. Could it be contaminated or foaming (I dont remember it being that color)?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Alpha One Will not trim up

Inspect exterior hydraulic fittings and where the screw in. The aluminum tends to corrode. Could also be seal in the end cap.

NHGuy

Captain

Was there water in your bilge deep enough to get into the power trim reservoir? If so and you normally use a honey colored fluid (motor oil?) you could have H20 in there with the power trim fluid. Gold oil & water mixed up would lool like mustard.
If there was never water in the bilge try cycling the trim up & down a few times while watching around the back of the boat, if you see an oil slick start you have a pressure leak, if you have a leak from suction (while trimming down) I don't have a diagnostic method.
To change the fluid put the trim at the bottom stop, remove the old stuff with a turkey baster or siphon, and refill with good fluid. Leave a gap of 1/4 to 3/8 inch below the reservoir top or you will get spillover. Now cycle it up and down a couple of times and change the fluid again if it has more contamination in it after raising and lowering. This is fluid that was out in the lift rams. I had to do mine 3 times when I first got my boat this spring. And I had to do it one time when I got water in my bilge this month. Arrgh!

I wish you bilge water.
Cheap do it yourself repair.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will give it a try.

What should I use for fluid?

Do I need to use Mercruiser or can I get something at the auto parts store?

I would like to do it today but I am sure everything is closed.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is my understanding that you can use 5w 30 motor oil. My sticker on the older style prestolite pump says 5w 30. I have also read that transmission fluid will work as well.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All set.

I ran the trim through the full range and drained three times.

It seems to be working fine.

Thanks

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

When the oil is mustard in color it has water in the oil. You did right. change the oil 3 times to clean out oil that rae in the hoses etc...