91 Johnsoon 70 HP - Can I Remove Exhaust Cover Like This?

PanamaRanger

Cadet
Can I remove and replace the exhaust cover without pulling the whole head? !991 70HP Johnson 3 cylinder. I think I have an exhaust gasket leak letting exhaust gas into the water area and causing overheating at higher throttle causing it to go to the SLOW mode.....lower RPMs it runs fine

I need a class for dummies I guess....Can I remove the exhaust gasket plate (plates?) and replace these gaskets without pulling the powerhead? I think I am smart enough to replace the gaskets but not smart enough to pull the powerhead...Can somebody give me a class for dummies on what to do??

I am OK with general type mechanical stuff (I used to rebuild air conditioning compressors) - but I am not good with outboards. I need to save as much money as I can right now. I am retired .....
(nuff said)....It looks expensive to take it to a shop and I need to try it myself unless I will do more damage than just letting it alone for now..

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 91 Johnsoon 70 HP - Can I Remove Exhaust Cover Like This?

As long as the bolts have enough room to come out I would think you could replace the gasket without lifting the powerhead.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 91 Johnsoon 70 HP - Can I Remove Exhaust Cover Like This?

it is a PITA, but can be done.