1951 seaking

Eric Roske

Cadet
I have a 1951 sea king 12 horse outboard it starts and then dies. The points are set at .015 carb cleaned and new reed valves put in. the longest i've had it running is about 5 mins. Just wondering if the coils are going bad but they tested out good. can you give me another direction to go and look for then problem. and also wondering about carb adjustments can anybody help?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1951 seaking

Clean the fuel system from tank to carb...then read the Carb Adjustment sticky note at the top of the Evinrude/Johnson forum.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1951 sea king 12 horse outboard it starts and then dies. The points are set at .015 carb cleaned and new reed valves put in. the longest i've had it running is about 5 mins. Just wondering if the coils are going bad but they tested out good. can you give me another direction to go and look for then problem. and also wondering about carb adjustments can anybody help?

Are the coils cracked or look like the are covered with beads of sweat? If they are, they are bad, no matter how they tested.

Points are supposed to be set at .020" not .015.

When it quits, will it start right back up again after a minute? If it does, suspect that somebody has installed the wrong float valve in the carburetor. The correct one has a Very Large seat diameter. It is part number 590855. Smaller ones won't permit enough gas flow to keep it running. Very few motors use that huge seat.

Beginning carburetor adjustments are about 3/4 turn on both. The idle needle works backwards--that is screw it in for rich, out for lean. Some motors have left hand threads to bring it back to "normal". ALWAYS remove the high speed needle assembly before removing carburetor float bowl.

Eric Roske

Cadet

It does start right back up but then it will only run for a few seconds then it sputters and shakes then dies. I had the points set at .020 and it would not start. That is why i went to .015. The motor had been locked up when i bought it this spring went through it and found broken rings and a large amount of rust in the cylinders. Had to make new reed valves out of thin gauge spring steel hone the cylinders and clean all the white stuff out of the carb. One coil has what looks like a small crack in it. the other i cant tell it is covered with green stuff

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It does start right back up but then it will only run for a few seconds then it sputters and shakes then dies. I had the points set at .020 and it would not start. That is why i went to .015. The motor had been locked up when i bought it this spring went through it and found broken rings and a large amount of rust in the cylinders. Had to make new reed valves out of thin gauge spring steel hone the cylinders and clean all the white stuff out of the carb. One coil has what looks like a small crack in it. the other i cant tell it is covered with green stuff

You made your own reeds?? Well, you certainly are more with it than the average bear. Now get rid of those junk coils and it will probably run. They have new ones here at iboats.