GT 175 hot restart problem

fish_guy10

Cadet
I have a 1988 Johnson GT 175. Earlier this year I was having some troubles with the motor running rough at top speed. I took it in to my (semi) local boat shop and they replaced the high speed jets and performed other maintenance (charging me three times what they originally quoted). On my way home I did a lake test and ran into additional problems. Although it ran great at top speed, after running for 10-15 minutes and then shutting down to troll or cast I couldn't get it restarted. In order to get the motor restarted, I had to crank and crank, then let it set for 5-10 minutes, then crank some more. After doing this 8 or 10 times, it would finally start.

I brought the boat home and called the service shop. They immediately claimed that there was no way it could be related to anything that they in any way had anything to do with, but that for an additional fee they would look at it again. I said no thanks.

I replaced the fuel, fuel filter, and checked all the lines for leaks. No problems there. I went back out on the lake, same problem. If I run for 5-10 minutes then shut off for any period of time, I can't restart without cranking and cranking and cranking. I brought it home and tried to duplicate the problem in a tank and cannot. The motor starts right up, runs fine, shuts off, sits, starts right up again. Of course, I cannot run wide open in my tank at home like on the lake.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I have read all of the "hot restart" threads on this forum and similar issues elsewhere seem to narrow down to flooding (floats, needle valves) or heat sink in the electronics. I'm leaning more towards flooding given that the issue started immediately after the boat shop worked on the carbs. Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: GT 175 hot restart problem

Ignition problems tend to show up when the engine is warmed up. Eliminate the spark issue first. When the engine won't start, check each plug-are they wet? If wet, it may indicte no spark. You can check each plugwire with an inductive timing light. Check for nofires and misfires. You will see it in the flashes from the gun. If it sparks fine, but won't start, then continue down the carb/fuel problem path.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: GT 175 hot restart problem

MAkes me wonder how they can claim " no way it could be related to anything that they in any way had anything to do with " when they haven't looked at it. They may be right but how do they know unless they check.

Take your tools with you next time out, pull the plugs when it won't start,
if its flooded its obvious. Check for spark.

If so ,open throttle and crank it, it will start if flooded just needs extra air. Are you re-priming it, once they run they usually don't need the choke again.