Trash

woodduck17

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So here's the thing---I didn't hit the lake over the holiday weekend because I'm retired and don't have to fight the crowds anymore. So, I go to the ramp Tuesday and as usual at this ramp only a couple of boats there. I look at the ramp and next to it is the trash left by bank fishermen(worm containers, etc) over the weekend. So I swear under my breath, clean it up and launch my boat. Go downstream about a mile working a crankbait down the shoreline and come up on another spot used by bank fishermen. Same story--cans,worm containers,dirty diapers,etc. I really don't understand this---how can a "sportsman" or "civilized human being" do this. My stomach knots up every time I see stuff like this.---Thanks for letting me vent.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Trash

Lousy bank fisherman :mad: They're not as classy as us boat fisherman :rolleyes: <br /><br />People are pigs no matter where they are.

D

DJ

People are pigs no matter where they are.<br />
Agreed.<br /><br />With all the enviro-whacko education :rolleyes: in our schools, one would think it would change.<br /><br />WRONG! People are people.<br /><br />BTW, the Indians (Native Americans) were some of the worst. They polluted, burned and CHANGED the environment to suit their needs. Now, that's a wake up call.<br /><br />But, we can't let facts cloud our perception of utopia. :rolleyes:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

This thread is entitled "Trash". Does that refer to what was found, or the bank fishermen, or both.

rottenray6402

Ensign

It really is depressing to see that sort of thing. With the anti litter laws we all have it would seem to be a good use of time for the rangers/sheriffs or another law enforcement agency to randomly hit these areas and pass out tickets. I realize this isn't exactly crime fighting but it would certainly help over come the imaage of the "slob" outdoors person.

18rabbit

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> BTW, the Indians (Native Americans) were some of the worst.
It appears to me to be cultural. I don’t think anything is as filthy as the country of India. Not unusual to see people there walking down the street tossing trash here and there, wherever. It’s the culture there, but not so in Japan.<br /><br />Where I live in Japan the whole city is pretty much spotless, no graffiti, either. The typical Japanese culture is one of ‘do not litter’ but it goes a little further in my town. Retired people will walk up and down their street and pick up/remove anything that doesn’t belong there. Makes for a clean neighborhood, which makes for a clean city. I’m told both Singapore and Malaysia are even cleaner, as if it were possible.<br /><br />No cig butts on the ground, either. If you smoke in public you carry a portable ashtray to snuff the butt and carry it away with you. Next time I am at the park by the bay in Toba I’ll take a pic of the sign and post it for ya to see. It is a typical “Do Not …whatever” sign except that it also says picking up trash is “ok” to do.

gonefishie

Commander

Please don't flame me for this as this is from what I've observed from over the years. If you think about it, bank fisherman are normally catfish, panfish type, they're not bass fishing because bass lures are expensive and you needs a bunch of them. Bank fishing for bass on a large impoundment is terrible, not many people do it. Fishing from a bank = poor, no money, can't afford a boat. No money = no education, lack of motivation, no work ethic, lower class people. High income people have more class then low income people. The lower the person's income is the less they care about thing. This may not hold true for everyone of both high and low income group but that is my general observation.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gonefishie<br /> I disagree<br /> I go to the catwalk fishing on the oregon inlet bridge.<br /> ya got rich tourists from all over with generators and motorhomes in the parking lot.<br /> they leave trash everywhere.<br /> they even crap on the catwalk in the dark areas.<br /> its gotten so nasty I did not even fish it last winter.<br /> to many nasty tourists.<br />its terrible when you have a teenage daughter and a teenage son and hit it about daybreak hunting for some 20+ pound rockfish to have to walk past used condoms and piles of human feces.

FSHKPR

Ensign

I am not gonna flame ya gonefishie but i hope someone does cause that kind of narrow minded thinking deserves to be lit up.

gonefishie

Commander

Well fishing from a pier or catwalk is different from fishing from a bank rodbolt and I did say my observation don't hold true for everyone.

PW2

Commander

_________________________--<br />Lousy bank fisherman They're not as classy as us boat fisherman<br />________________________________<br /><br />I'll bet a dime to a dollar the reason you don't notice it as much from boat fishermen is the evidence has floated away.<br /><br />It is not everyone, of course, but it doesn't take many to turn any area into an eyesore.

Ron G

Commander

Thats the reason here,they dug ditches to any of the good spots for bank fishing,and posted $100 fines.it still doesnt work.back a few years ago they put garbage cans out in one area were i use to take the dogs to swim,and i would have pick up the gabarge and put it in the can.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gonefishie<br /> naw it aint, well only to get to the catwalk with your motor home and generators and such usually takes a bit of cash.<br /> its a maint catwalk that is used by fisherman. only the DOT is talking about closing it now due to idiotic tourists.<br /> I say if its tourist season give me a bag limit and some tags.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

My In-Law's ranch covers about 1/2 the bank space of one of the best fishing lakes around here (post some pictures some day). They have let people come on the place and fish for many years. Last few the trash has gotten worse - last year the rancher who leases the pastures lost 3 cows and figured it was from eating trash left in he fields. This year I locked the gates; they can only fish in front of the house and on the dam. You should hear them, none of them EVER leave anything when they leave. But; still picking up trash in front of the house! Probably next year or so the property will be closed off as the road in is private. Also just happens our end of the lake is the most productive from shore.

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by gonefishie:<br /> Please don't flame me for this as this is from what I've observed from over the years. If you think about it, bank fisherman are normally catfish, panfish type, they're not bass fishing because bass lures are expensive and you needs a bunch of them. Bank fishing for bass on a large impoundment is terrible, not many people do it. Fishing from a bank = poor, no money, can't afford a boat. No money = no education, lack of motivation, no work ethic, lower class people. High income people have more class then low income people. The lower the person's income is the less they care about thing. This may not hold true for everyone of both high and low income group but that is my general observation.
Thats a pretty broad brush your painting with, let me help you hold it ;) . I have the same situation at a city lake that I crappie fish at. Most everyone fishes off of the bridge, and at the end of the night, there is trash up and down along the bridge. Mostly worm cartons and chicken liver cartons, but also includes alot of cigarette butts, pop cans, beer cans, etc,etc. And yes, most of these people are low income white trash scumbags. Sorry to be so blunt, but when I hear them talking about how they just bought 2 cases of beer for the fishing trip in one breath, then are complaining that they dont have money to put braces on their sons teeth 10 minutes later, they are WHITE TRASH. I went out there for the first time this year last weekend, and after the experience that I had, I wont be going back.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

This goes back a few years when snagging for salmon was allowed in Michigan.<br /><br />The dam at Berrien Springs was the end of the road for the salmon at that time before the ladder was built. It was an 1/8th mile walk down hill to the river. Seems that the hundreds of fishermen could lug their full containers of food, drink and bait down the hill but couldn't lug the empties back up. Compounding that was the fish guts left in the sun on the bank. A stinking dirty mess! When the ladder was built and snagging disallowed, the problem cured itself.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

T'aint just sportsmen round the pond banks... go in a theatre before the staff has had a chance to clean it up since the last movie, or a state fair or a parade or the side of any road? people be slobs indeed. <br /><br /><br />spots

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Huh huh<br /><br />I said taint and staff.<br /><br /><br />spots