Larson 180 SEI 2003 Leaking

eppsboat

Recruit
I just purchased a used 2003 Larson 180 SEI this week and had it on the water for the first time this weekend. To my surprise the boat took on water and even had water in the compartment for ski storage. The bildge pump was able to keep the water level from increasing too much but we still pulled the boat out of the water and plan to take it to the shop next week. Any thoughts on what the problem could be? I purchased the boat from a family that did not used the boat in years and have no thoughts on the cause. Any thoughts beyond doing a much better inspection before purchasing a used boat? thanks

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Larson 180 SEI 2003 Leaking

Hello, first the obvious - you put in the plug, right?

I have a 180 SEI 2001. It takes on a little water that shows in the ski compartment (under the floor). Usually not even during use but after I pull out. There is a hole in the back of the compartment where water can run into the bilge. If the bilge is full of water and you take out the boat the water runs forward when you stop.

I was out all last weekend, on the first day I did not run the bilge pump and there was lots of water when I pulled the plug. On the second day I ran the bilge and there was hardly any water when I took the boat out.

I am in a very similar situation, the original owner whom I trust to tell the truth, did not use the boat in 2 years. So my guess is that the outdrive sealing dries up and becomes brittle and lets water in. It'll be expensive to repair unless you can pull the drive yourself.

I am very interested what you learn, so please keep us posted!

Best
Roland

soreloser

Cadet

I own a 1996 174 SEI, bought recently, same story. The boat wasn't in the water much over the past 3 years. I filled the bilge area and tipped the trailer up and noticed some small beads of water leaving where the drive meets the transom. It is now in the shop, motor and drive pulled. I was shown the seal by the mechanic and it was quite dry/squashed/cracked and he was sure that was the problem. It should be out of the shop tomorrow, will let you know. I am expecting a large bill, about 10hrs labor plus parts. Did the gimbal bearing at the same time as it was all tore down.

eppsboat

Recruit

Thank you both for your replies, I have a feeling I am going to be using these forums a lot as I get started with the boating. Before taking the boat into the shop I decided to do a little exploring myself. I found that the hose used for flushing the engine was not capped. I put on the motor muffs and confirmed that not having the cap on the flush hose caused water to flow directly into the bildge area from the hose. So, I put the cap back on and hope that this solves the entire problem. I will take the boat back out this weekend for a test. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your suggestions.

soreloser

Cadet

Well, 9hrs labour and a $20 seal. All fixed, just over $1K.

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Like they say, "If you want to play, you got to pay"