Flywheel Removal - 1968 55hp

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer
So, Ive removed the nut, though I didnt have a good way to hold the flywheel from rotating. Now, I cannot get the flywheel off, despite using a puller. How do I hold the flywheel? During my first attempt, I had the long screw on the puller tightened down quite snug and the flywheel didnt move at all.

Any tips would be appreciated. I have, in the past, hammered up on the flywheel and succesfully removed them, but I fear damaging it in this case.

Thanks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Flywheel Removal - 1968 55hp

See "Top Secret File" pinned at top of post list.

DO NOT hammer or pry on flywheel.

atengnr

Chief Petty Officer

Im confused by this statement in the sticky post....

"First tip, was how to hold the flywheel stationary while loosening and tightening the flywheel nut. I used the method of propping a 2' extension bar between a bolt in the flywheel (threads ground off as directed), the flywheel nut, and the engine 'hoist'. That proved to be quite easy."

Can someone explain this? What bolt has threads ground off???

lindy46

Captain

Just jam a 1x2 between the flywheel teeth and the rear pull starter bolt or lift bolt, and have someone hold it in place while removing the flywheel nut and tightening the puller bolt. Tighten the puller bolt snug, give the bolt a rap with a hammer, tighten it some more, another rap - sooner or later it will pop. Leave the flywheel nut loosely in place to keep the flywheel from sailing when it releases.