'94 merc black max need help

kcflan21

Cadet
I recently purchased a boat with a 200hp merc black max... Oh please note my boating and motor expierence is rusty,limited, and obviously not that good...After having trouble starting the motor I took the prop off and placed the motor in a bucket and got in running...long story short >...I didnt put the thrust washer back on when I replaced the prop. When I took the boat to the water it started ran for about 30 sec and stalled. Then never stayed running again ..always stalling when placed in gear. Two broken garbage cans later I finally bought the suction cup hose attachment and tried to start again at home and noticed the water wasnt being pumped out. (always was prior). I can still start but dont want to run without water cooling. Water pump problem or impeller? And any guess on price for repair? Just trying to go to service center without getting hosed. Thanks for any help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: '94 merc black max need help

The thrust washer keeps the prop from chewing up the gearcase. Is yours damaged at this point?

Make sure the flusher fits over the water intakes (in front of the prop), and turn the hose on full. Lots of water will be spraying around. Now when you first start the motor, the spray will lessen as water is sucked into the motor. Water will not come out until the thermostat opens. You will likely see water thru the grates above the antiventilation plate and from the gearcase, wher the prop fits. This is normal and means the motor is pumping.

kcflan21

Cadet

No it is in good shape. I believe I caught it in time before, hopefully, any major damage. I did have the motor running and no water was coming out, which granted was only for about 20-30 secs, however every time prior it was already shooting out so I shut it down in fear of blowing the water pump or something bigger.

kcflan21

Cadet

Also this motor has only about 4 hours on it since may of 08 and was converted over to pre-mixing the oil with about $1200 total done with a new water pump and electrical. Since its been sitting so long when it starts it needs some throttle initially to stay running however the throttle control has no neutral...so putting the motor in drive or reverse all the time I feel isnt helping the situation.

j_martin

Admiral

Hey bud.
Slow down, take a deep breath.

There has to be a fast idle setup on that motor, either an auxiliary lever, or a gearshift release button, or internal electronics.

If you could further identify the motor, (carb 150, 200 efi, etc) we could help you in that department.

Now back to the problem. In storage, something plugged up. It should run better than that. On the other hand, if the trouble didn't start up till the prop fiasco, then maybe what we're looking at is lower unit damage. Happens all the time. With more info, we can help.

Now about the slow down part. It looks like you have done a bunch of expensive damage, just by hurrying and trying to get things done on the cheap and fast. In the end it'll be neither cheap nor fast. If you're going to own the engine, you need at least an owner's manual, or every little minor failure will turn into a disaster like this. What do you do if the oil alert alarm goes off? How do you get the motor up if the electric tilt quits? If you're going to work on it, you need a maintenance manual. It's a good read anyway to understand how this machine works.

If you mis-applied the water cuffs and ran it 30 seconds, you toasted the water pump. (been there, done that) You likely started that destruction when you ran the prop through 2 garbage cans in a row. With the cuffs on, you should have water flowing in increasing amounts from the prop hub after the engine starts till the block fills, (about 10 seconds) and then it should be flowing pretty well under all conditions. The tell-tale only flows when the engine is warm enough to open the thermostats. I've had em pretty intermittent on the cuffs with really cold water.

Oh, and by the way, don't rev it up real high on the cuffs. You might tangle up the rods like spaggetti, and that'll pretty much be the end of the project.

Good luck from here on. I hope it isn't as bad as it looks.

John

kcflan21

Cadet

Hey thank you for the advice. After reading your first reply I realized I may have been a little quick on killing the engine before seeing any water seeing that I recall having the waterflow from the suction cups decrease when I had the motor running. So I went and crossed my fingers and tried it again. About 35 seconds into it....about 5 more than my nerves could take it, began to spit water. So I was a bit of a worry wart. Long story short I already had her in the water running almost flawlessly for about 2 hours. Thanks for everything I definitely will pick up a manual. You saved me from having to name the boat F U Boat since my wife never really approved to begin with. Thanks again.

j_martin

Admiral

Welcome to the sometimes merciless world of outboard motorboating.