Boat storage procedures ?

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just a quick question about storing boats. When you drop off at storage, do you keep the outdrive at full up position on I/O`s? What about long driving trips? Do you use some sort of supporting device to the outdrive, or just tilt full up and go?;)

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat storage procedures ?

For storing over long periods I would think it would be easier on the bellows to have the drive down.

For travel you really don't have much choice. I think I saw some type of bracket that goes over the rams somewhere.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can buy a cover for the support arms so if there is a hydraulic failure the drive will not drop. They look like PVC covers that fit over the exposed portion of the rams.

If you desire to leave the outdrive on during the winter I would store it in the down position so it does not collect water, freeze and crack

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I winterize my boat (pre alpha mercruiser) I drop my outdrive, and open the engine petcocks for a few days to let the all the water drain out. I then raise the outdrive and throw on the long plastic clips that snap onto the ram of the tilt cylinders. I use the clips for long trips out of town also. I usually remove the battery, and sometimes need to move the boat around in the winter. I have been doing it this way for years and have had no problems yet.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

at the storage lot we use , we have to drop the boat and they pick it up and spot it where they want it. we have to leave the drive up so they can move it. we do use the sleeves that bob mentioned to take the pressure off hydraulic system. all so jill tries to scatter cling free dryer sheets around inside the boat as they seem to deter the mice and vermin from sticking around and making messes. also we have found wrapping the lines that hold cover on and tie downs,with aluminum foil seems to keep them from chewing or climbing up them.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

The guy I bought my boat from kept several shallow tubs full of charcoal in the boat during winter storage. Claims it controls moisture and keeps it from getting musty smelling. I never tried it, but he swore by it.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beg, borrow, steal, save, and ask the neighbors for the little bags of silica gel that come in the box with every electronic device. Best mold preventer ever to be placed in a boat.

Next year, reactivate them by putting them in a 180 degree oven for about an hour.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I worked at a motorcycle dealership for 13 years. One of the brands we sold was Harley Davidson. Harley's are shipped in big crates and in each crate is a big cloth tube of some sort of material that is meant to suck moisture out of the air and prevent condensation and corrosion. Once we unpacked the bikes and assembled them, we threw the desiccant away. I'm sure if you stopped by a Harley dealer and asked nicely, they'd give you as much as they have available. Would probably work great.