How do we feel about monterey boats??

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I sold my old bowrider and im looking at a 1992 Monterey 189 Special edition. the boat has only had 2 owners and has 230 original hours. owner now said that when he got boat it came from an older couple who left it out uncovered and the floor started to rot.

He had a new floor put in and had boat completely reupholstered professionally. it looks really good. HE mentioned something about the lower unit being replaced and he also had a new gimbal bearing installed.

Boat is sound except he said that when he and his wife sit on the back end/Platform the bilge kicks in every 20 mins so it means there is a leak somewhere.

he is asking 5k i talked him down to 4... most importantly how do we feel about monterey boats?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do we feel about monterey boats??

The newer Monterey's have a very good reputation.
A friend of mine had a beautiful 29' Fountain performance boat and decided to sell it and buy a boat with a larger cabin.
He found a Monterey cruiser of similar length and was happy with his decision. It didn't run 80 MPH like the Fountain but his family could overnight comfortably.

That said, an older model might not have been taken care of so well. Check it out thoroughly. Stringer and transom replacement could very well cost more than the value of the entire boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

That boat sounds a little iffy.

In general Monterey builds a good boat. That one sounds like it was neglected. There is nothing worse than a neglected boat.

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very true guys. but with low hours it seems like he bought the boat and did al the fixing up and never really used it. he has had it for 10 years... Im gonna chekc the transom and see what the deal is with the water intrusion. probably comming in at the rub rail im assuming.... but interrior and floor is mint of this boat.... no tears wear fading anywhere and low hours caught my mind... althought NADA says the boat is only worth 3500 high retail

bpmcl00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bump, anyone owned a mid 90's Monterey? How were you satisifed with overall boat?

Anyone else chime in on quality?

Thanks

bad_boy

Banned

I owned a 98 and it was an excellent boat, solid all the way around. The new ones are better and you can forget about getting any info out of the factory about boats older than I think 1999 when they had a fire and lost all of their material. Buy hey, if you know boats than this is no problem.