99 Johnson 60hp wont restart after running

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
after getting up to operating temp and running well all day, wont re-start until about 25 minute waiting period, then re-starts with no problem. any experienced help out there ?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 99 Johnson 60hp wont restart after running

Does it quit while running or do you turn it off and then it woun't start? You need to check for spark when it happens. If no spark, you need to get out your manual and trouble shoot system. Maybe some component of the ign system is overheating, and when it cools it fires again.

jonesg

Admiral

Heat soak, let it idle for a few minutes to cool down before shutting it off.
Then pump the bulb up to fill carb bowls with cold fuel.

Another wonderfull by-product of ethanol is the lower boiling point it causes to the fuel.

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It doesnt quit running, I shut it off. Everything works great until I shut it off. It then refuses to re-start until about 25 minutes, its like a prolonged cool-down period. I've re-primed the fuel bulb in the interim, have utilized a brand new seperate fuel line, fresh fuel & fuel tank ( I mix fresh fuel & pennzoil synthetic with the gas , VRO oil side was capped off when I got this motor new in 2001) and it makes no difference, wont re-start for 25 minutes approx.

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The engine is operating in the normal temperature range, but it seems to be getting an idication that it's running hot.The water pump is pumping plenty of water. The engine never goes into the S.L.O.W. mode, but wont restart whenever I shut it off after cruising speed, unless I wait 20+ minutes.

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any help out there on this one ?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Any help out there on this one ?

sounds similar to an issue I am working on which I call "hot engine syndrome" and I wonder about non-fuel path issues. I remeber reading about how a faulty thermostat can send bad signals and cause issues.

jonesg

Admiral

Its called heat soak, try the suggested method.
Anyone listening out there?;)

freetime99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Captain, thanks for your info. about "heat soak ". Is that terminology being used to describe what's happening to the electrical / ignition system or the fuel delivery system ? And if it's the fuel system, is that similar to vapor lock ?